• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
theScore

read animations in .3ds files or any other format

This topic is 3749 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I would like to create a loader of the binary format of lightwave (.lwo if it is correct name ?) but i have problems to find docummentation which whould allow me to read a such files. Do you know a link ? Thanks. EDIT : I 'm seraching to read animation in .3ds format or any binary format in which i can, do you know one ? or a link which says how read animation in a format ? [Edited by - theScore on June 15, 2008 8:30:25 AM]

Advertisement
thanks but i found nothing about animations, and that what i 'm searching. Especially for .3ds format or any format which is able to export whole scene with animations.

Quote:

Especially for .3ds format or any format which is able to export whole scene with animations.

Are you sure you really SEARCHED? There's much information on reading 3DS files with animations available on the internet. Just search for something like "3ds file format". Or you could take a look on the lib3ds, a LGPLed library to read and write binary 3DS files.

However, 3DS has (AFAIK) no support for vertex or bone animations. But nodes in the scenegraph can be animated.

[ad]
If you want to read model several model formats you could also be interested in our current project, the Open Asset Import Library ("ASSIMP", here), a free BSD-licensed library to read various model formats (like 3ds, obj, ply, mdl, md2, md3, x ... ). However, the only type of animation we support is bone animation. The library is currently close to a beta release, so be careful, it is not absolutely stable :-)
[/end of ad]

Best regards,
Alexander

[Edited by - Porthos on June 15, 2008 2:55:42 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!