Why the maximum number of lights is 8,and what to do if i need more then 8 lights?

Started by
4 comments, last by Daaark 15 years, 10 months ago
Why the maximum number of lights is 8,and what to do if i need more then 8 lights?
Advertisement
There are some solutions, depending on situation. Render the scene more than once if you need more lights. Or decide, for each object for example, which lights contributes the most and use only those. With distance based attenuation for example, very distant lights may have an insignificant contribution on your model, so you don't have to use it.
Or use shaders. That might allow you to either implement more than 8 lights in a forward renderer or use a deferred renderer that basically has no limitation on lights (since they are just a post-processing effect).
If I was helpful, feel free to rate me up ;)If I wasn't and you feel to rate me down, please let me know why!
That seems a bit complex for me

Can you recommend me some readings on this topic please?

thanks
8 lights is already a LOT, in fact, few games ca afford to have that much (ususally it's like 3-4) That's a per object limitation though, you scene can contain 1,000,000 lights if you want it to, provided you're able to select which lights (at most 8) lights which object. So, do you really need more that 8 lights per object?
Quote:Original post by TheMan22
Can you recommend me some readings on this topic please?
It depends what you are doing specifically. Some game levels don't use the built in lighting at all, and instead use lightmaps or vertex colors, or even shaders to do it in real time, and then just the characters or game objects themselves are lit by the nearest x lights, and have ambient light on them too.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement