• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Colin333

An art question

This topic is 3808 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all, I'm searching for a program that can help me with creating all artwork I make for programs and games (sprites, backdrops, ect.) I'm really confused though, I don't understand the difference of Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator, I want to purchase one of the two, but I don't know what would be more appropriate. Adobe photoshop attracts me because it comes a long with image ready, an animation program that is sold with it. But I don't understand why it's so much more cheaper than illustrator. Can someone clarify the difference? If someone has previous experiance with these two I'd love a recommendation. Thanks!

Advertisement
Well that explains the price difference. But I'm still not sure about what would be more beneficial. I'm going to be using blitzMax for creating my programs and I don't really know what the limitations to the software is. What are some pros and cons of using vector over raster and vice versa? I'd also like to know if I can install 1 copy of adobe photoshop (illustrator) on multiple machines?

Here is a way to think about raster vs vector.

Raster images are based off of raw data/pixels stored in memory. Vector images are graphics with equation based properties that allow the image to scale. This website gives an excellent explanation.

http://www.sketchpad.net/basics1.htm

Okay, thanks for the link. I'd still like to know if I can install a single copy (CD) of adobe photoshop/illustrator (CS2) on more than 1 machine. If ANYONE knows please tell me! thanks.

Instead of spending a crapton of money on something like Photoshop, why don't you instead download something like Paint.net for free, use it for awhile, find out where it isn't able to meet you needs, and then look at some other software available?

well, here's the thing. My sister is the artist, and I'm not actually going to be paying for illustrator/photoshop. She's buying it. That's why I want to know if a copy is able to be installed on more than a single machine so badly. Plus, I also would like photoshop for school projects, actual photo-editing, my own artwork, tiny bit of web-designs, and animations. Photoshop CS2 is obtainable for 180$ now via amazon.com, I wouldn't consider that a lot of money at all considering how much I'll use it.

Quote:
Original post by Colin333
Plus, I also would like photoshop for school projects...

Have you looked into getting a student edition? Typically gives the full software with massive price reductions, if you're eligible.

John B

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!