Drinking in public

Started by
51 comments, last by capn_midnight 15 years, 10 months ago
This is a typical view of a town in Europe: Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Here, people order drinks, including beers and other alcoholic drinks. A friend of mine claimed that in the US, you cannot legally order a beer on the outdoor part of a cafe, only inside. I find this hard to imagine, because it's something so natural where I live. So, is it true or not? Or only in certain states?
Advertisement
Depends on the city/county ordnances. This is not a country or state wide 'law'. For example where I live you can not drink outside of a bar/restaurant unless it is enclosed by a fence. i.e. a back patio. In Las Vegas you can walk down the strip drinking a beer. I also believe you can drink in public during Marty Gras in New Orleans.

And yes you can order a alcoholic beverage outside as long as it is within the ordnances. Generally speaking your friend is correct. There are exceptions.
∫Mc
There are some dumb beer laws in certain states.
One of the main sticking points out here is whether the beer has been poured into a glass (a cup or a mug) or if it's still in the bottle or can. Most places out here don't like people drinking beer from bottles on the street. So too with wine, that's why sometimes you'll see characterizations of winos holding bottles wrapped in brown bags. You can get in serious trouble drinking beer in a bottle on most of the beaches out here too. The concern there pertains more to the risk of breaking glass. Beer in cans not such problem on the beach. In Baja California, Mexico if you want to drink beer on the street or on the boardwalk, you have to wrap it in a brown bag - at least that was the case 20 years ago when I went there during spring break.

Looking at that picture, it's easy to see why people are allowed to order drinks. There are no cars there, only pedestrians.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Yeah, there are some dumb beer laws, that's for sure. I'm not too sure on the specifics in my area (western WA) but it seems you can drink outside in the following cases:

1.) In an enclosed (usually fenced) area connected to a bar. You can smoke out there too (our state enacted a no smoking indoors policy some time ago).

2.) On your own private property (of course).

3.) On a boat, though this is a somewhat of a fuzzy situation. The 0.08 BAC legal limit is set for the drivers, so any boat operator caught above 0.08 can be charged just as harshly as a DUI. I couldn't find anything that pertained to passengers, seems that they can drink and not receive any charges. Don't quote me on that though.

The last time I went fishing we brought some beer to drink, and it seemed that others out on the lake were doing the same.

4.) In a beer garden, usually set up at fairgrounds during events.

5.) On campgrounds.

I'm not too sure about the beach, I haven't been down there recently.
Quote:Original post by LessBread
There are no cars there, only pedestrians.

Anyone else get a picture in their mind? [wink]
Quote:Original post by agi_shi
There are no cars there, only pedestrians.

Anyone else get a picture in their mind? [wink]

I get the point, but I think that that picture is trying to insinuate that there aren't McDonald's in Europe. Wut?

I think the pedestrian vs. car traffic argument is pretty valid. There aren't many streets that look like that here, alcohol or not, unless you are in a theme park. And the laws vary quite a bit, but "public drunkenness" (however they word it) can be a crime, and DUI's are pretty serious crimes, so allowing beer outside of patios of restaurants and the like and on the street seems to be asking for trouble.
One of the main sticking points out here is whether the beer has been poured into a glass (a cup or a mug) or if it's still in the bottle or can. Most places out here don't like people drinking beer from bottles on the street. So too with wine, that's why sometimes you'll see characterizations of winos holding bottles wrapped in brown bags. You can get in serious trouble drinking beer in a bottle on most of the beaches out here too. The concern there pertains more to the risk of breaking glass. Beer in cans not such problem on the beach. In Baja California, Mexico if you want to drink beer on the street or on the boardwalk, you have to wrap it in a brown bag - at least that was the case 20 years ago when I went there during spring break.

Looking at that picture, it's easy to see why people are allowed to order drinks. There are no cars there, only pedestrians.

Yeah if you don't want to get a ticket it's best to error on the side of caution and stick to drinking inside over here.
It seems like every place has it's own rules and little quirks. For example I went to the beach in San Diego with my cousin and his friends and he got a ticket from a cop for having taking his beer with him to the restroom. It seems that you can drink as many beers as you want out in the open as long as you stay on the sand. As soon as you step off onto the boardwalk as they call it or into the public streets an officer will give you a ticket it seems.
It's becoming the same with smoking now it seems too. I heard that the guy that was in the Transformer and new Indiana Jones movie got a ticket not long ago for lighting up a cigarette in Burbank,CA not long ago. It seems that you can be ticketed for smoking in public now in some areas. Unless there is a lot of public signs stating so I don't see how anyone would know since as everyone has mentioned it's not uniform or anything?
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

That's just incidental; it wouldn't be too hard to take a similar picture with people drinking outside a pub with a busy main road running outside the front.
I love these forums. "Dumb laws" limiting consumation of alcohol? I suppose you were not the same people putting down on that dude in the weed thread a few weeks ago? I mean, there's such a huge difference. Crap and crap.

Anyway. Sweden is obviously too in Europe, and here it's not allowed to drink publically, only if you're within a certain area that is under control by guards and is set as a public drinking area.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement