• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
TheMan22

OpenGL Writing a 3d app with OpenGl

This topic is 3714 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Writing a 3d app with OpenGl : I have opengl books and i am reading them now.Right now i read the Super Bible and Open Gl shading language.I have experience with c++,c# and python and i have enough math knowledge.Then i will read Design Patterns. What books would you recomend as reading for this project? Writing a simple modeling 3d app. Thanks

Advertisement
Oh yeah Real Time rendering is really good,went 100 pages over it, paused it a bit to learn opengl in depth.

thanks

By the way,if i were to write a complex program like maya will using :

glTranslate
glRotate
glScale

be ok, or i would have to create my own matrix classes and operations to set them properly, and then use glLoadMatrix or glMultMatrix?

Why this question ? Well i heard that gl Translate and such commands are not hardware accelerated so my guess would be maya-like app can't be using these commands?

Thanks

It would be faster to apply one transformation using glMultMatrix rather than using a bunch of transformtions using glTranslate, glRotate, glScale to achieve the same thing. if you are familiar with 3d transformations, alot of times you can simplify multiple transformations to generate your 4x4 matrix without even having to multiply a bunch of 4x4 matrices together to get the result.

Before you worry about optimizations, get your app running.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!