eye and up vectors from view matrix

Started by
5 comments, last by Trienco 15 years, 10 months ago
how do i extract the eye and up vectors from a view matrix? thank you!
Wunderwerk Engine is an OpenGL-based, shader-driven, cross-platform game engine. It is targeted at aspiring game designers who have been kept from realizing their ideas due to lacking programming skills.

blog.wunderwerk-engine.com
Advertisement
assuming the following matrix layout:

m11 m21 m31 m41
m12 m22 m32 m42
m13 m23 m33 m43
m14 m24 m34 m44

You get the up vector from the view matrix like this:

up = (m12, m22, m32)

For the position/eye vector you need the inverse view matrix and then it's
eye = (m41, m42, m43)
If I was helpful, feel free to rate me up ;)If I wasn't and you feel to rate me down, please let me know why!
mh but position != eye vector, isn't it? in my matrix class, translation is stored in m14, m24, m34. if the camera looks along the negative z-axis, then the up vector should be (0, 1, 0) and the view vector (0, 0, -1), right? with your suggestion, however, the view vector is (0, 0, 0).. any idea what's wrong?
thanks!

[Edited by - Vexator on June 15, 2008 3:06:32 PM]
Wunderwerk Engine is an OpenGL-based, shader-driven, cross-platform game engine. It is targeted at aspiring game designers who have been kept from realizing their ideas due to lacking programming skills.

No, eye = position of camera. What you talk of is the lookAt vector or the looking direction. The eye-vector (0,0,0) is the default camera position.
If I was helpful, feel free to rate me up ;)If I wasn't and you feel to rate me down, please let me know why!
ok sry, so what i need then is the lookAt-vector.. how would i get that? m13, m23, m33?

[Edited by - Vexator on June 15, 2008 5:08:33 PM]

Using the layout I described earlier, yes!
Only problem is that most people say look-at and mean a point (position + view_direction). Getting just the direction from the matrix is simple (as above).
f@dzhttp://festini.device-zero.de

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement