• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kanato

XBox requirements for XNA

This topic is 3810 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I just got a bunch of money for graduation and I want to buy an XBox. One of the things I want to is to write XNA games and run them on my XBox. But I have had a hard time finding what is required on the Xbox; I see the XBox 360 Core, Arcade, Professional and Elite. Can anyone suggest which of these is best for developing with XNA?

Advertisement
Funny. That was my intention too last summer but all it amounted to was me playing a lot of great games. Hope that doesn't happen to you!

The 360 Core/Arcade has no hard-drive in it by default (although you can buy one separate and slap it in), so is pretty useless for development (I'd be inclined to say a 360 without a hard-drive is useless for EVERYTHING [grin]) so Premium and Elite are the ones you should be looking at [smile]

I have a Premium myself as the Elite didn't exist when I bought my 360 and it is great [cool]

Regards,
ViLiO

Be responsible and save your money. Develop some things using XNA that run on your PC. Once you actually have a few projects go ahead and buy one. You'll need an xbox with a hard drive, an xbox live gold subscription (~$50/year) and a creator's club subscription ($100/year).

Or you can run it on your PC for absolutely free.

Well, I do also want to play GTA IV, so getting an XBox 360 kills two birds with one stone there :)

Actually, I have a C# game library which uses plug-ins to run via MDX or OpenGL, and I want to write an XNA plugin for it to run on the XBox 360 as well. I already have a couple of projects working that I want to try out with XNA, both on PC and XBox.

Quote:
Original post by RDragon1
Be responsible and save your money. Develop some things using XNA that run on your PC. Once you actually have a few projects go ahead and buy one. You'll need an xbox with a hard drive, an xbox live gold subscription (~$50/year) and a creator's club subscription ($100/year).

You only need GOLD if you're going to play on live.

Mr. Original Poster: one of the fantastic things about XNA is that there's almost no code changes when you go from xbox to windows and vice versa. You may need to tweak a few things, but it's pretty solid. I'd recommend messing around with Windows Games and see where it goes. You can always port!

Ninja edit: NOTE ALL code will run on the 360. The 360 uses the compact version of the .net framework, so stuff like Net.Sockets isn't included. The XNA Game Studio help files have more info!

Quote:
Original post by mpipe
Quote:
Original post by RDragon1

You only need GOLD if you're going to play on live.

Mr. Original Poster: one of the fantastic things about XNA is that there's almost no code changes when you go from xbox to windows and vice versa. You may need to tweak a few things, but it's pretty solid. I'd recommend messing around with Windows Games and see where it goes. You can always port!

Ninja edit: NOTE ALL code will run on the 360. The 360 uses the compact version of the .net framework, so stuff like Net.Sockets isn't included. The XNA Game Studio help files have more info!

I know. I've played around with developing windows games already, and I want to port to XBox 360. I also want to buy one to play GTA IV, so I see no reason to wait. But I want to make sure I buy one that can handle both. GTA IV shouldn't be a problem, but the requirements for XNA are not so clear.

So, the recommendation is the premium package? I am not sure I see a good reason is to buy the elite version; it's $100 more and it just has a larger harddrive? The black is kind of cool, but I don't really see a reason to spend that extra money.

The requirements are pretty much what they said above:

- Hard Drive
- Xbox LIVE Silver or Gold (either works; you just have to be online)
- Creator's Club Subscription (purchased as $49 USD for 4 months or $99 USD for 12 months)

For XNA I guarantee that you won't need the 120GB hard drive unless you have some absolutely crazy amount of resources to put up there. I have about 8 or so XNA games along with a dozen or more XBLA games and all my regular game saves, bonus content, etc and I still have plenty of room left on my 20GB hard drive. I'd say just buy the premium 360 and save your money for the CC subscription or games or something.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!