QA Interview

Started by
11 comments, last by NineYearCycle 15 years, 10 months ago
I have a interview tomorrow with a company located around my area. The interview is for a QA Position. Ive chosen to go in a suit (Well, Shirt, Tie, Etc) and ive prepared my resume, Wich lists a number of past projects ive worked on (Modeling, Texturing, Etc). Im a little nervous as its my first interview at a game development company, Can anyone give me a little insight on what type questions they will ask? Ive heard some companys also do exercises? Thanks, Daniel
Advertisement
If it's for testing, if you're alive and breathing you should be fine.

A suit sounds like a terrible idea - did you ask them what their dress code is like? It's likely that they all wear jeans + tshirt and they will tell you to wear the same. Overdressing to such an extreme is very wrong, you will look like a complete fool. Ask them what you should wear.

If you want to be an artist (mondeling, texturing), then you're interviewing for the wrong job.
Some places are a bit more piccy than RDragon1 suggests about QA since it's a position that you often promote people out of _eventually_ <-- NB: QA to Artist is not a quick route.

Also most places still expect people to turn up in shirt + tie if it's your first job. After you've got a few years experience in your field it can be less of an issue (depending on the company) but you're generally safest dressing smartly for it as it shows that you want the job! As RDRagon1 said they'll probably all be wearing jeans and t-shirt (hell I don't even wear shoes or socks at work!) but this is an interview and you can ask them about the dress code during the interview.

I imagine that they'll ask what you know about the company and the games that they've previously made. If it's a startup company then try finding out what games the founders worked on and most importantly what games the company is currently working on, since they'll probably be what you'll have to test.

Companies often do tests for technical positions such as coding but generally QA roles are about the personality of the interviewee. A love of games and being able to remain focused on what you need to do to repeat a bug in the face of total apathy is handy, it can get very soul destroying doing exactly the same features test list for the 400th time.

Good luck with the interview!

Andy

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"

"Life is short, [the] craft long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgement difficult."

Im interviewing for a QA Tester position to make my way in to the industry. I have previous experience with both modeling and texturing, Aswell as various other things. However, Im not set on becoming either one of them yet.

The company is a fairly well known company, Im already aware of what game i will be testing aswell as the contract length.

Ive played quite a few of there games and read up a bit on the companys history.

Thanks for the advice, Any more is welcome!

-Daniel
Ahh the old dress code argument.

I'd say sit in the middle of the last two replies, dress smartly but not overly formal. Maybe a shirt and jeans..enough to show you've tried but not so much that you look like a bank manager.

Knowing about the company is good...and having played their games is important too.

And make sure you know what QA entails. If you go in with a "lol i gets to play gaems!!" perspective on it you'll be shot down.
I got back from the interiew a little while ago. I decided to stick to a shirt, trousers and shoes.

After arriving i went to the reception, Then on to the QA Office. I was met by the two people who were going to interview me.

We went in to another room.. To start the interview. I was surprised at the questions and the fact that it was a little more layed back then i originally thought.

The questions were such as "What do you think a QA Testers job is?" "Do you think you could work these days, These times" and a few others.

Aswell as a bit of talk about there previous games and there history, While asking if i had played any of there previous games.

They explained a little about the bug database and various other things and what i thought my future job goals were.

Shortly after, They asked me if i had any questions of my own. I only had 1-2, As i knew fairly much by then.

I hope i did fairly well inside the interview, I just have to wait and see.

Thanks for the advice,
Daniel
Glad to hear it went down well mate, good luck with the verdict =]
Just out of interest(if you dont mind), what company is it you applied for?
Thank you! The companys name is TTGames (Travellers Tales)

[Edited by - Dan08 on June 16, 2008 12:49:41 PM]
Quote:Original post by Dan08
Thank you! The companys name is TTGames (Travelers Tales)

Best of luck!

What are the hours? I read the job description for that job and it says in there "Must be willing to work unsociable hours and weekends"... I was just curious (I live in the US).

On a side note, to help you out in the future, the company name is spelled with two L's. :)
The position is for 40 hours a week + overtime. Sorry about the miss-type on the company name there.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement