• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
juniorbl

Game industry programming languages reference

This topic is 3660 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone, I'm finishing an article about game development for my postgraduate degree and there I mentioned that C++ is the most used programming language in game industry but I can't find any reference to this. Does anyone know if there is an report, survey or any kind of reference that I could use in my article? Thank you.

Advertisement
I don't know of any report but for released games on consoles I've only ever used C or C++... ok that's sort of a lie as there's been some platform dependent assembler coding too and we've embedded scripting languages into some of the games however they we're all bound to C or C++ code.

In the "typical", and by that I mean "boxed product sold in shops", games industry you've got almost no choice but to use C/C++ since they're the only compilers supported on teh console platforms you're generally targetting.

If you're targetting Windows, Linux or OSX then you can use whatever you like and there are entire communities built around Pascal, Visual Basic, Python and other scripting languages.

Andy

Take a look at the games recruitment companies. I think you will find that most want programmers with c++ experience. I know it's not an ideal reference, but you could perhaps build it into your article by analysing each of the agencies.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!