• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jjanevski

OpenGL [Heightmap Terrain Engine] Path to Follow

This topic is 3778 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Greetings, I am new to the 3D programming scene, so be kind. ;) Currently I am deving for the PlayStation Portable (PSP) and I am trying to write my own 3D terrain engine. I am using C/C++ and GU (PSP's version of OpenGL). So far I have been able to write a simple heightmapper that reads a .raw file (my heightmap) and converts the 8 bit data to vertexes for my mesh. Now this is where things begin to get interesting. I want to develop a nice method for processing and displaying my mesh. The hardware that I have to work with is a CPU that can either be set to run at 222Mhz or 333Mhz. If the latter is set then the PSP's dedicated GPU will run at 166Mhz. A more specific outline of the hardware. (Source: http://www.osix.net/modules/article/?id=713)
Quote:
The PSP's core is based around the MIPS R4000 core. It contains the CPU and FPU, as well as a vector unit (a coprocessor for vector and matrix operations). Together these components form the Allegrex CPU core. The CPU clock is adjustable to anywhere between 1Mhz and 333Mhz. Sony restrict developers to a maximum of 222Mhz to ensure the battery lasts for a reasonable amount of time. The CPU is paired with a dedicated media CPU, capable of hardware MP3, ATRAC3 and h.264 decoding. For graphics, the PSP sports a dedicated GPU, capable of lighting, skinning, subdivision, pixel operations, and a few other functions. Main memory is 32mb, divided into 8mb for the kernel and 24mb for the currently running game. Video memory is 2mb. Overall this hardware is very similar to the PS2, which had a MIPS R5900 core, 2 vector units, 32mb of main ram and 4mb of video ram. Anyone familiar with coding for the PS2 should be fairly comfortable with the PSP
I have been searching using google, flipcode, and gamdev.net forums for info on terrains. From what I see CLOD and GMM (geomipmaping) are the choice techniques. This brings me to a few questions: 1) Is it wise to use triangle strip or triangles? 2) I have heard negative things about GMM, and I am unsure whether or not I should GMM or CLOD. 3) Considering that the PSP has a screen resolution of 480x272 and the processing power as previously stated, would CLOD or GMM even be beneficial? 4) Are there alternatives to LOD that I am not aware of. 5) Is there anything else I should be aware of that I might not know of? Thank you kindly for any assistance or info. I am a bit new to this sector of programming so thanks in advance for any help! :) Greetz... --Jonathan Janevski

Advertisement
Ok, thanks, I'll take a look into that.

I would still love to hear what other people have to say about my other questions (specifically tris vs tri strips). Thanks guys!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!