• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
NeoJigglypuff

[web] my bg pic is blowing up [html]

This topic is 3658 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How can I keep a background pic resolution at a constant? It seem that when I change to a higher resolution (1280x1024), my supposed to be repeating bg pic blows up (kind of what your get when you zoom in an image). If possible, I don't want to use css. The blowup occurs only in IE. Other browsers scale the background appropriately. [Edited by - NeoJigglypuff on June 16, 2008 4:26:44 AM]

Advertisement
I'm not really certain what you're asking here... Web based images should remain the same pixel size, regardless of what resolution you're running in. A 100x100 image in 800x600 mode or 1280x1024 mode will still be 100x100 pixels - it will merely look smaller at 1280x1024 on the same monitor.

You say the problem is only occurring in IE? Newer version of IE (that is, IE7) supports zooming in and out of the web page for the visually impaired (as opposed to resizing text which can destroy the layout of poorly written HTML).

Perhaps you've zoomed in without meaning to? I don't have access to IE7 at the moment, but I believe the option is under the 'View' menu. If this isn't what you're talking about, then perhaps a link to the problem code would help.

How do you set the background? Have you tried something like <body style="background-image: url(img/my_background.gif);
background-repeat: repeat"> ? Also, is it IE 6 or IE 7?

It's a simple line

<BODY background = "images/parchment/text.png" bgproperties="fixed">

I'm using frames in this example. Here is what it looks like using my normal resolution, 1024x768

http://img396.imageshack.us/my.php?image=res1al8.jpg

And this is how it looks like when I use 1280x1024.

http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=res2dn3.jpg

The "edge" frames are scaling correctly, but the frame where the map is located "blows up" the background. I'm sure I set the background attributes for the frames all the same. This is in IE6, but the same happens in 7.

I'm sure I did not accidentally zoom it.

Doesn't bgproperties="fixed" force the background image to expand to act as a watermark? I think you should remove it if you want the background to repeat.

Quote:
Original post by ruby-lang
Doesn't bgproperties="fixed" force the background image to expand to act as a watermark? I think you should remove it if you want the background to repeat.

Fixed *should* only mean that the background doesn't scroll. Nothing more.

Thanks for the heads-up, ruby. From what I realized from you last said, it turns out that the code I presented had no problem at all. Another part of the application is making the background from repeating to stretched out non-repeating.

Thanks also for the others who helped.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!