Using SourceSafe online

Started by
6 comments, last by Kylotan 15 years, 10 months ago
I was wondering if there is a way to setup a sourcesafe server on the internet, without paying a dime ? thanks
Advertisement
If you are talking about Miscrosoft SourceSafe, then no, you cannot use if for free, on-line or otherwise.

If you want any sort of version control software, then there are a number of options such as subversion. Look for 'free online version control' with google.
I heartily recommend using subversion instead. At work we used to use SourceSafe but we've been steadily moving projects over to Subversion, and you won't find anyone here shedding any tears of ditching SourceSafe. TortoiseSVN is an excellent client and is completely free, as is the server app.

As for making it accessible over the Internet...you can certainly do it on a home computer provided you forward the the right port on your router to the PC running the server, and can set up a dynamic DNS service. Or you can use one of the free code-hosting sources like sourceforge, Google Code, etc.
just to be clear enough
I DO own Ms visual source safe.

I wish to use vss because of vs ide integration

I know I can buy some webserver and deploy a vss server instance over there

what I want to know if there is a free service where I can deploy my copy of vss server
so I can check out files from work or from home
If you already own it, then you can install the server on one machine, and install the clients on each of the other machines. You will then need to ensure that you can obtain the IP of the server (either with a static IP, or a dynamic dns service) and that the required ports are not blocked on both machines.

A couple of words of caution though, if you are an employee, make sure you are allowed to install the software and open the ports on your work machine. Some companies would not like you being able to send potentially confidential information over a protocol they have no control over.

I still think you would be better to ditch VSS though and go with a web based system such as sourceforge.
Quote:Original post by EvilNando
I wish to use vss because of vs ide integration

VS IDE integration is available for other SCC systems. VisualSVN, AnkhSVN, among others.

Quote:what I want to know if there is a free service where I can deploy my copy of vss server

If you obtain dedicated hosting, where you have complete control of the machine and can install new applications, then you can do this.

The thing is, you don't want to.

VSS performs extremely slowly across a network. I recently migrated my organization from VSS to SVN, and our off-shore teams report a reduction in acquiring the full source trunk from approximately four hours to about 20 minutes. My local teams are now in the habit of checking in far more frequently since it doesn't interrupt their process, and they put everything in version control now. They appreciate the non-locking checkout, too, allowing them to simultaneously commit to the same source tree node provided commits don't overlap (and using SVN's conflict resolution utilities if they do, which improves team communication by getting the involved authors talking).

Subversion isn't necessarily the best revision control solution out there, but it's leagues better than VSS. Besides, even Microsoft has retired VSS; a new product, Team Foundation Server, was introduced to replace it.
thanks for the insight

Ill check those options and see what I can do

We used Source OffSite with VSS. It's not cheap, and it's far more painful to use than even just CVS.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement