• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
TroyT

Question for begining

This topic is 3660 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm very new to game programming, in the sense of I haven't really done any programming yet. But as with anything else, I'm eager to learn even if I only ever learn the basics, I'm still eager to learn. I've been doing a lot of reading here and there on the subject. I just had some minor questions and figured I'd try to get some better answers from normal folks like me. What's the best way to start (i.e. something easy to program)? What's the best program to use? -I have Visual Basic 5.0 left over on my lap top, my father worked with it here and there and when I acquired his lap top it was on there. Is it worth starting out with this since I already have it at my fingertips or should I try for something else. What or where are some good tutorials? I'm not looking to take classes or go to school for this just yet. I'd like to try and learn as much on my own as possible to see if this is something that I'd really like to do. I was able to teach myself HTML and CSS over the past few years and I like learning on my own more. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to include any other tips, other than just answers to my questions. Thank-You Troy [Edited by - TroyT on June 16, 2008 5:32:04 AM]

Advertisement
Visual Basic was the first programming language I learned and its a pretty forgiving language for beginners which is nice. I learned everything I know about VB from books so I'm not sure about whats online but there is probably a lot of nice web based tutorials.

You can also look at python and its library; pygame. I don't have much experience with it since I couldn't the python shell to work on my computer but I want to have another look, see if I can get it working. ANyway there seems to be quite a bit of support with PYthon and Pygame which is nice.

But if you stick with Visual Basic for now it will at least give you an understanding of programming basics and you can apply what you've learned to other languages. Just find some beginner Tutorials and work through them. Then try designing a simple program yourself (I remember I tried designing and building a tamagotchi like thing on Visual basic when I was learning it. I failed miserably but It taught me a lot more then most tutorials did)

Hi,

Since you already have a compiler, the best way is to search for online tutorials on the net with source code.

(e.g. http://www.codebeach.com/index.asp?tabID=2&categoryID=11&subcategoryID=77)

You could also get a beginner book on programming with VB. Look out for a beginner book you feel having clear explanations and easy to follow instructions.

I would say that try to copy a simple program with few lines (the canonical Hello World or Guess A Number for example). Once it works, try to understand what each instruction does.

Ghostly yours,
Red.

Thanks Guys...

My father should have some books about VB some where. I remember he took classes on it for awhile. I can't remember how far he got or what books he had... eventually he moved on to being a computer technician rather than a programmer of sorts.

I'll see what he has and I'll start looking in to tutorials.

Feel free to keep those suggestions coming.

Unless you already have a bunch of VB 6 books laying around or some other reason just having VB5 already installed is not a good reason to start learning it now.
Especially, since Microsoft and the rest of the programmers have moved on to VB.Net or C#.
You can download VB express 2008 or C# from Microsoft and at the same website they provide quite a bit of video's that show you how to get started.

Quote:
Original post by daviangel
Unless you already have a bunch of VB 6 books laying around or some other reason just having VB5 already installed is not a good reason to start learning it now.
Especially, since Microsoft and the rest of the programmers have moved on to VB.Net or C#.
You can download VB express 2008 or C# from Microsoft and at the same website they provide quite a bit of video's that show you how to get started.

Well, just having it already is not the only reason I'd like to start with it.

1) Being the fact that I'm just beginning and I don't know how far I'd like to go with this. Do I want to just mess around with programming basics? or Am I really interested in this stuff and I want to make the next great video game? I don't know yet... maybe I'll find out.

2) I don't make the big bucks, so spending a ton of money is not something I want to do at this point in the game. Especially if this isn't something I'm going to pursue for the long run, ya know.

I'd recommend getting Visual Studio 2008 Express for VB.NET (or C# if you prefer). You'll probably be more lucky to find nice tutorials for those languages as for VB5/6.
Also, if you're into looking to get into game programming (which I guess considering you're posting on GameDev.net :-) ) learning a managed langauge will allow you to use XNA later (once you have basic programming knowledge). That will allow you to quickly build a simple game without having to focus on creating your windows, initializing your graphicsdevice etc.

Quote:
Original post by Chrono1081
The express editions others have mentioned above are free by the way.

Whats the catch?

Quote:
Original post by TroyT
Quote:
Original post by Chrono1081
The express editions others have mentioned above are free by the way.

Whats the catch?

Just some limitations in the IDE/tools provided but other than that its pretty much full fledged in terms of what you can do.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!