3d graphics

Started by
5 comments, last by agm_ultimatex 15 years, 10 months ago
Good day to everyone! I am a newbie on this forum, and I would like to put some questions and hopefully find some answers. I am interested in creating a 3d engine for a university project. What resources(book,articles, video tutorials) are good for a completely newbie in this domain? I tried some programming in DirectX and XNA but I am interested more in graphics algorithms. Thanks in advance! Revan
Advertisement
I would like to give you some advice. Don't be so ambitious. In most cases this is ill advice. But in this situation you don't want to give yourself too much to do. I wrote the foundations for a UI library for my degree project, when promoting the idea i was told by lecturers how people had tried writing engines in the past and all failed.

Good luck!
The Forum FAQ should help you.
Thanks for the information. I know how much work is to be done, but I want this engine to serve as my degree project which will take places in the next 2 years, so there is plenty of time. What I am interested in learning is the foundation, the basis algorithms for creating a scene adding objects some shadows et cetera.

Yesterday I received a book from a colleague it's called "Introduction to Computer Graphics" from Springer publishing house. What can you tell me about it?
Quote:Original post by Revan007
...so there is plenty of time...

I disagree. And you have no idea how long it's going to take you. Aim for less.
OK, I understand that I aim too high. What do you mean with aim for less?

Revan
Quote:Original post by Revan007
OK, I understand that I aim too high. What do you mean with aim for less?

Revan

A 3d engine is a big undertaking. Theres a lot to it, and probably a lot that you may not be thinking about. Im no expert, and you probably know more than I do, but I agree, and you should go for something smaller than that. You may have 2 years, but im sure you have other assignments and tests you will have to spend time on. My friend is in a systems project class, where he and 3 others are building a program for a client. They spent the first 4 months planning it, now they are developing it. Hes building a registration system that takes care of payroll, users, and provides a service. Hes really busy with it as its too much to float with other courses. Anyways good luck in what ever your prime decision is :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement