(solved) small pointer problem (c++)

Started by
7 comments, last by fpsgamer 15 years, 10 months ago
Hello, I am a little inexperienced regarding pointers, so I need a little help with this one. Here is my code: struct Point{ float x,y,z; }; int main() { Point vert[11]; vert[0].x = 0; } The program crashes when i do that x=0, I hope it's clear what I'm trying to do, I hope I can get a quick answer. Michel [Edited by - Bear777 on June 16, 2008 11:51:36 AM]
Advertisement
There is nothing wrong with that code, did you omit anything?

... It would be best if you just copy and pasted your actual code.

[edit]

I should also add that that snippet has nothing to do with pointers.
Quote:Original post by fpsgamer
I should also add that that snippet has nothing to do with pointers.

Well, in the expression
vert[0].x = 0;

the subexpression vert decays into a pointer, and vert[0] is transformed to *(vert + 0) under the hood ;-)
Quote:Original post by DevFred
Well, in the expression
vert[0].x = 0;

the subexpression vert decays into a pointer, and vert[0] is transformed to *(vert + 0) under the hood ;-)

Are you sure about that?

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

Quote:Original post by nobodynews
Are you sure about that?

Yes.

An lvalue [...] of type array-of-T which appears in an expression decays (with three exceptions) into a pointer to its first element; the type of the resultant pointer is pointer-to-T.
(The exceptions are when the array is the operand of a sizeof or & operator, or is a literal string initializer for a character array.)
In an expression of the form a, the array reference "a" decays into a pointer, following the rule above, and is then subscripted just as would be a pointer variable in the expression p
Anyway, the code was right, but for some reason if i declare that array outside a function it works. So thanks, it's solved.
Quote:Original post by Bear777
if i declare that array outside a function it works.

That doesn't sound like a real solution.
I was more looking at the statement "vert[0] is transformed to *(vert + 0) under the hood". Your link also states that when you have:

char a[] = "hello";
char *p = "world";

"It is important to realize that a reference like x[3] generates different code depending on whether x is an array or a pointer. Given the declarations above, when the compiler sees the expression a[3], it emits code to start at the location "a," move three past it, and fetch the character there. When it sees the expression p[3], it emits code to start at the location "p," fetch the pointer value there, add three to the pointer, and finally fetch the character pointed to. In the example above, both a[3] and p[3] happen to be the character 'l', but the compiler gets there differently."

That said, I'm sure when you do *(vert+0) a compiler will still generate the same assembly as if you did vert[0].

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

Quote:Original post by DevFred
Quote:Original post by nobodynews
Are you sure about that?

Yes.

An lvalue [...] of type array-of-T which appears in an expression decays (with three exceptions) into a pointer to its first element; the type of the resultant pointer is pointer-to-T.
(The exceptions are when the array is the operand of a sizeof or & operator, or is a literal string initializer for a character array.)
In an expression of the form a, the array reference "a" decays into a pointer, following the rule above, and is then subscripted just as would be a pointer variable in the expression p

Point vert[11];
vert[0].x = 0;

equivalent to:

Point vert[11];
(*(vert + 0)).x = 0;

... so whats your point?

The OP has clearly omitted the thing that is the real problem.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement