• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
radagaisus

swamped by little things

This topic is 3711 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I recently started coding a graphics engine in DirectX 10. Everything went smoothly until now. I got an awesome 3D cube floating around, neat. Now I need a mesh loader before I can start coding anything else. Apparently the .x file is now deprecated and Microsoft would like to see it dead. In their examples they use a format .sdkmesh and warn not to use it for serious programming. I downloaded Autodesk FBX SDK, as it was the best format I found. COLLADA documentation didn't look serious and reliable, too much open source and too much versions and little details for me. FBX documentation is also horrible. I'm stuck at this hurdle for almost a week, and I don't know what to do. Do you have any advice about which way to go? Should I continue with FBX? use COLLADA? use .x file? write my own? This is such a fundamental subject and no one ever talks about it. Thank you.

Advertisement
I ran into the same questions as well. I decided to go the route of doing my own format (for static models). I then have importers I write for any format I want to work with. So my chain goes like...

.x file -> (x file importer) -> common data structures -> (ggw file exporter) -> .ggw file (.ggw is my binary format).

I have it setup so I can read it directly into my buffers for faster loading. This way, I can then write .3ds importers, etc. if I ever want to. Though, I bought a convert software so I just convert any models into .x then into my .ggw format.

Hope that helps!
Jeff.

How long did it took you? It is so way off track for me, time is important for me.

Thanks.

EDIT AND SOLUTION: I decided to stay with FBX and it payed of. After reading the tutorial thoroughly I know now how to implement (well, sort of) this in my code. Writing my own format is just too darn long, the .x file is dead and I have two options, to take a code I found here on gamedev and use the Direct3D9 code for it, or to write my own parser for it from the start, which is basically almost writing my own format. So I decided to stay with FBX, and now I can say that it is pretty good.

Thank you.

[Edited by - radagaisus on June 18, 2008 11:54:40 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!