• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Tobbzer

New to game making.

This topic is 3832 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey im 19 an im new to game making can anyone reccomed me some tools that i can use to start making some simple games. i hear making tetris as a 1st game is a great way to start. any tips please say

Advertisement
Quote:
Hey im 19 an im new to game making can anyone reccomed me some tools that i can use to start making some simple games.
What are you going to do with these tools? Can you program?

Quote:
i hear making tetris as a 1st game is a great way to start.
If you have the necessary prerequisites.

Look into languages and general programming first if you have no background in game development. If you do have background in programming, as long as you know a recent language there's a good chance you can make something in it simulating a video game. Here's a list of game development API's that you can use for game development assuming you have a programming background:

C# - XNA
C++ - (Tons but notably) DirectX , OpenGL
VB - DirectX, Windows Media

My first game was an RPG but instead of focusing on all the graphics development, I used VB and Windows Media Player plug-in to display the enemy while you fought and the game screen was a Windows form. That's just proof you could build a game out of any basic tools you know how to work with.

Well, for tools, you need to decide what language you want to use.

I won't go into what to choose, since that will spark heated debate, but I recommend the following: Java, Python, C, C++, Visual Basic (not in any order).

If you don't know how to program at all, pick one of those and stick with it. If you do know how to program, well you should be able to look at the languages and pick an appropriate one for your skills.

You will run into some trouble doing graphics in C and C++ natively, as in you will need to use DirectX or something like that.

Java has some basic graphic classes, but don't expect anything that fancy unless you use a 3rd party library.

I can't speak for Python or Visual Basic since I don't know those.

For java tools, go to www.java.sun.com and get the JDK (Java Developers Kit). You can then use the javac command to compile your code and java command to run it. OR go to the link provided and find some tools. http://java.sun.com/new2java/learning/young_developers.jsp. I HIGHLY recommend BlueJ, it's absolutely wonderful.

You can also check Microsoft's website for special free versions of Visual Studio, which will work with C, C++, and Visual Basic. http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/

Here are some Python tools: http://www.python.org/download/

I hope this was helpful! If you have any more questions, post them and we can help you out. Good luck!

oler1s hit on some pretty key points. Heck even MS paint can be a game development tool. If you are looking into the programing side of things a compiler would be a good route to look into. Dev C++ is a free and very simple one to use for example. If you are learning some programing basics that is all you really need.

Of course tetris is a very solid game to learn some fundamentals of game development, but the project will be nearly impossible for you if your new to programming. I'm no great advanced programmer myself but I do know enough about it to make that statement!

Work though some classic programming problems to get though some of the basics. Learn why certain things work the way they do and how you can apply different solutions to new problems.

1st project - "Hello World"
Basically shows you out to output information onto the screen. It's very simple and if you have never programmed anything before it can be somewhat rewarding. "Hey, I made that go to the screen! I made this!". Modify the project later on to take in input from the user. Possibly ask for there name and how old they are. Start to understand how basic variables work. You can add a lot of random stuff to spice up a very boring program to teach yourself basics.

2nd project - "Guess the number"
This project can then tackle some more advanced programming topics. Loops, conditional statements ect. While your still not working with fancy graphics you are learning a lot of the stuff that goes on behind the scenes of the game.

Good luck with everything!

Quote:
Original post by Tobbzer
i hear making tetris as a 1st game is a great way to start.

Also worth mentioning, Tetris is filled with design rules and graphics manipulations though it may not seem like it on the surface. Typically programmers / game developers are recommended to start developing in the following order:

Hello World - Either printing to console or initializing a window through one of the development API's.
Triangle - Draw a triangle to the screen using an API (possibly move the triangle)
Model - Import a model and draw it

As you can see none of these are games but are all needed before even making Pong (which is technically more simple than Tetris). So, expect to make a lot more 'tech demos' before building an actual game clone.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!