• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Funkyjive

Verticies of a square that has been rotated

This topic is 3657 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have hit a road block with this certain aspect of my game. What I want to do is calculate the corners of a rectangle. I know the center point of the rectangle, the width and height, and the normal of the rectangle. So given the center and a 3d normal I want to figure out where each vertex is in the 3d space. If this type of problem goes by a name please let me know so I can do some searching or if you could point out a website with some info on how to do this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, FunkyJive

Advertisement
It sounds like you're looking for 'billboarding'. The three most common types of billboarding (that I'm aware of, at least) are viewplane-aligned, fixed-reference, and axial.

Keep in mind that the problem you describe doesn't have a unique solution (the rectangle can be rotated arbitrarily about the normal). Each of the aforementioned billboarding techniques addresses this problem in some way by choosing an orientation that makes sense in the given context.

Now that you mention it, billboarding does seem to be what I am looking for. I was reading about that the other day and now I can see how this would be useful. As for the arbitrary rotation I will have to take that into consideration by including an 'up' vector to keep it from rotating out of wack.

Thanks for the info... time to start googling!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!