• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
maya18222

OpenGL a little confused (fx Composer/ rendermonkey)

This topic is 3747 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well, i download both of these apps, and am a little confused over the way they work 1. I got use to Rendermonkey pretty quick, and so decided to export to .fx, but it wont render correctly as the mul functions seem to be the wrong way round, i was under the impresion that rendermonkey worked with HLSL in the background, why would they be the wrong way round? which i believe is how OPenGl works, (column vectors) 2. So then i tried fxcomposer, and created a HLSL effect, but i noticed that you dont get the structure like you do in rendermonkey, that shows all your passes, techniques, varibles, render states etc. Unless you create a CG Collada effect. so i decided to experiment and create an effect with all 3 types , .fx, CG, and collada cg. And you only seem to get the structure with the collada type. I personally find this structure quite usefull, is there anyway to get it when creating a .fx effect in FXComposer? The other thing i noticed was that when applying the material to the mesh, and then choosing a technique, the only techniques i could access from the directx renderer was the .fx, i was under the assumption that .cgfx and collada effects work with both dx and opengl. as you can see im quite confused. from what i understand, HLSL creates .fx files which only load with DX apps .cgfx is a language very similar to HLSL, but has its only file type, to which you need the CG .h/.cpp to load. And works with both DX/and opengl apps Collada fx cg - not really sure what this is

Advertisement
Hlsl is simply a language (High Level Shader Language) which the hlsl compiler compiles into machine code to run on your gfx card, .fx files are a way of grouping seperate shaders together. So in that sense hlsl doesn't create .fx files, rather, fx files contain hlsl code.

CG is Nvidia's own shading language, and I think cgFx is their version of MS .fx files. Nnot sure about that.

I don't know anything about collada, but Wikipedia says it's a form of xml for transporting data.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!