Hey guys, just trying to make my own game

Started by
3 comments, last by ECorELSE 15 years, 10 months ago
Well, been at it for about 2 years now with the resources i've learned through piles of HTML/PHP/MySQL books and have crammed that in with my massive amount of ideas and put them to use... I have had 2 sort of successful rounds, been working out bugs mostly, but I do believe we're bug free and moving on to the 3rd round sometime today. There aren't too many players so I'm realllllly trying to get the word out and maybe some of you can help me pursue my dream of providing you guys with a nice game. We have a small fan base, many of the newer updates were ideas taken from the general public and placed within the game to see what things would be like from the gamers point of view. I am the founder and lead programmer and willing to assist anyone having problems with their own games as well, even questions about coding and database work... Heres the link guys : empiresofgalldon.co.nr (Soon to be EmpiresOfGalldon.com on June 19th)
Advertisement
What’s the question? Do you simply want to show your game to us?

I haven’t seen any information or screenshot about your game in your site (and I don’t want to search in the forum). I never register to a site without knowing what the site have to offer.
I'm moving you to Your Announcements, Game Design isn't appropriate unless you're discussing/lookng for feedback on the gameplay.

A few points:
  1. This may have just been a problem with my own connection, but for me your site took far too long to load and I almost gave up on waiting. Make sure your game is hosted on nice snappy servers so that you don't lose potential players before they even get to see the page.

2. The homepage of the game is a boring (and somewhat ugly looking) signup form which tells me nothing about the actual game. Your homepage should instead provide a simple overview of the game with screenshots and links to additional information so that potential users can see what they're signing up for. Bonus points for having a homepage that customises itself for existing logged in users rather than presenting them with this same page (much like FaceBook does). Make it easy to signup by allowing it directly from the front page (preferred), or by displaying a prominent link to the signup.

3. Provide easy ways for people to do your advertising for you - create FaceBook apps which allow your players to display stats (or whatever might be appropriate) from your game, include "Digg This"/"Blog this" links on your homepage (once you've revamped it to be more attractive and informative as described above), etc.

4. Make your links clickable. Either briefly experimenting or having a quick read through our FAQ would reveal that on these particular forums you can use plain HTML to do so, and you're then more likely to get some of the lazier people out there to visit your site.

Hope some of those points are of help to you. [smile]

- Jason Astle-Adams

I went to your site and here is my first impressions: (I mean all of this constructively)

-Never, ever, make someone log in to your site to view your content, or else they wont. I saw that I couldn't look at anything without logging in so I didn't. I want to be able to read the forums, look all around the site and explore it before signing up and registering which to me is the biggest pain on any site. A lot of people have this same way of thinking so it's something you would probably want to change.

-Your site keeps talking about a game but I don't see a game...

-The site looks messy. The links up top are just thrown there and don't have any icons or anything to add visual interest and make me curious about them. When I found them and clicked them I couldn't do anything because I wasnt registered or logged in.

-I have no clue what a lottery or bank is, but it sounds like a gambling site.

-Really the site just needs more explanation of its features. I read your description talking about home based media (that name really doesn't explain much either) and how its revolutionary but really, I have no clue what it is. Is it whats used to post your site? Is it a software? Is it a game? A viewer? What media is it talking about?

I think a lot of cleanup needs to be done to make this site interesting / useable. This is what I just saw on the surface. I don't want to sound discouraging I just want you to see from my point of view as someone who stumbled across it. Hopefully some of these impressions help you make it a better site.

[Edited by - Chrono1081 on June 17, 2008 5:03:11 AM]
I'm with Chrono here, no way I'm going to subscribe to a website if I have no clue what is it about!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement