• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kdworld

BSP portals

This topic is 3659 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Friends , I want to create a program to generate automatic portals from a closed triangles. I knew it is possible using BSP tree ( i know BSP working) But i didn't understand how it create portal polygon using BSP tree. In bsp tree there is divider polygons. So somewhere I ead it need to split the divider polgon agnist all other divider polygons in the tree. If anyone know this technique please share with me.. I am becoming mad these days :) Thanks in advance KD

Advertisement
I'm working on a Portal Engine, but not BSP so I can't really 100% wrap my head around this.

But I'd say something like flag some of the polys you want to be portals as portals, and if you process those polys, jump to a different node in the tree. I'm not too sure. I have a decent understanding of BSP-Tree rendering, but I can see how portals could be done, but I'm not 100% sure on how you would go about the implementation. But what I suggested kinda sounds like Vanilla BSP-Rendering.

Thank frieds for the quick reply

I have already looked that link.. Unfortunately I have some problems in understanding the order of clipping of the initial portal rectangle ( which is created on the sample divider plane of each nodes)..

Can someone show me the order of clipping operation ?
Thanks.
KD

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!