• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
stephen946

What makes Great games?

This topic is 3748 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello i am trying to think of a game idea but i cant think of concepts. my genre is not specific or anything. all i want know is what you guys think makes great games. NO no just GOOD game GREAT!!!!! games. thanks guys and gals

Advertisement
Basically, what game do you sorta like, but think could be done a lot better? There you go.

i was thinking less about what game i prefer and was thinking like.

halo - is it narrative that makes this game so great or gameplay. obviously they all come together to make the game great but what is the main thing that really grabbed the consumers.

great mascot i.e. masterchief

or does character profiling really matter. i know a few people that say they dont like characters that let people walk over them etc...

I think the common trait in most 'great' games is that they're easy to learn, but hard to master all while being fun at all ability levels. Intuitiveness is key.

great answer jesot i like it but if the idea is bad poeple are not going to want to play to find out that the game difficulty is good so thats 1 extra to add to my list thanks.

Take Starcraft for example. Any garbage gamer can play it and have fun. It's very simple. Gather resources, create buildings, produce troops. But an advanced player will get so much more because of the various strategies they can employ to reach their goal.

Another one is Counter-Strike. Ya, anyone can run around and shoot their gun and have some fun, but advanced players know the map and various little tricks of the trade and enjoy the challenge of facing other skilled players.

When you have a game idea and want to know if it holds up to various levels of skill, ask two questions:

1. "Can my sister play it?"

2. "WILL my uber-nerd friend(s) play it?"

so you think that the whole map layout could be a major part of this what makes a 'GREAT' game. like you say anyone can run around and shoot a gun.

so to make a good map you'd need lets say an easy to navigate main corridor etc... then for advanced players there could be hidden gems like sniper spots, places to jump out from and knife the enemy when they don't expect it.

sounds like im getting somewhere your great help.

The question is too broad and vague to answer. A great game just hits a sweet spot with a certain group of people. Developers usually do a lot of playtesting to get a grip on that. For a shooter, yes, level-design plays a major role. For other kind of games, such as Bejeweld, there's not really much level-design to speak of.

So, what exactly are you looking for? What do you want to know? What sort of games do you want to create?

Quote:
Original post by stephen946
so you think that the whole map layout could be a major part of this what makes a 'GREAT' game. like you say anyone can run around and shoot a gun.

Definitely, take de_dust2 for example, it's very balanced (maybe a slight terroist advantage in cs1.6), small enough to learn the layout quick enough but learning the paths to take without getting your head blown off can take a while. Also a fun part of counter-strike is to learn the common positions people will take up and where they are likely to hide behind. Allowing you to run round a corner already shooting at where you believe someone to be. Out playing someone in this way can be gratifying. (which sadly can often result in the next few rounds receiving various levels of abuse and claims of cheating.) de_dust2 kept the game compact while having enough hiding places to give a player the element of surpise. There are other great counter-strike maps but de_dust2 is probably played the most on average, and it was not one of the first cs1.6 maps available.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!