• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ringtailgames

any tips on making (any help) making a python engine for a virtual tamigochi

This topic is 3749 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

im new to python and had an idea of a clone of tamagotchi with 3 "pet" characters that would poke fun at harry potter, runescape, and world of warcraft respectively. i need tips and help regarding the subject of making a game engine and an .exe file of the game. :P err copywright idea ringtail games 2008 i guess (help is appreciated!)

Advertisement
The Tamagotchi was an independent device, which is important in one very significant regard: it was always on! It could be designed to "evolve" progressively, since, as long as the battery was on, the Tamagotchi was alive and active. Your program, in contrast, will have periods when it is not running, but the user may expect the virtual pet to have evolved in his absence. What this means is that you must devise an approach that allows you to near-instantaneously simulate the effects of any arbitrary time interval.

Sounds like you need a genetic algorithm. Basically, you will need to determine how many different "dimensions" of mutation or change your virtual creatures will possess (and the extent along each dimension, with a binary state being the simplest extent), the rules for mutations between "generations" or successive states of evolution, and a fitness test to determine a valid state. The fitness test is key to using GAs to rapidly search the evolutionary space to locate an acceptable state to describe the virtual character after a user absence, with the interval since last use and state at last use being inputs to the GA.

Yeah... it's a bit challenging, and the Python implementation is really the easiest part.

thanks oluse that makes a lot of help possible (lmao the tamigotchi we had when i was 4 years old the ver .5 if u remember that commercial :) was so fricken annoying were actually going to understand this at my companyu ringtail games (well its just me right now but im recruiting friends to help ) thanks it really helped!

can anyone help me add to my source code with a way to go after a certain time played? like if u never play with it it measures time of day to see play times and play lengths to make your character grouchy (plan to use this to determine what the wow nerdy egg hatches into and what class it is :P and also if u get a dwarf and is it drunk?)

i would apreciate it since i have no exp with python at all... :O

Have you done any programming at all? This sounds more like a beginner programming question than a Python specific question.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!