COD 4 summer project

Started by
3 comments, last by Tenac 15 years, 9 months ago
Hey guys i am going to be a second year computer science major at University of california riverside...meaning ive taken CS 10 and CS 12 ...meaning i am an advanced beginner with c++.....anyways i was wondering if it is possible for me...with my kind of skill to make a cod 4 mod...i was going to try and make a Vietnam war mod for it...i am certified with the basics of Maya 7.0 and im not sure but i think i read you can use maya with cod 4 not sure though...Anyways what im trying to say is...IS THIS POSSIBLE FOR ME TO DO BY MYSELF!?...and ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS...TIPS...WORDS OF WISDOM.....also i tried downloaded the modtools and tried to open them but ...well thats obstacle #1!...if COD4 is too advanced for me i do have the worldbuilder for C&C 3 tiberium wars...and i have used that a little bit although i havent tried programming with it...anyways THANKS FOR READING! you must be tired by now! sorry! ill shut up! GOODNIGHT!
Advertisement
Try it out. Dig into the surface of modding CoD4, get a quick overview of what you need to code to make your mod and then decide.
None can tell for sure whether your skills and motivation might yield success other than yourself.
When that is said, you will probably have a much higher successrate if you find some teammates to work with. You might not get exactly the mod you are dreaming of right now, since the rest will probably have ideas of their own, but at least you can split some of the hard work required to get it playable and stable.
Also remember that the hard part for a programmer working on a standalone mod is not the coding itself but the asset creation. After all, most mods merely replace the original games' assets and perhaps provides a small/medium amount of new (coded) features.
Hey thx for the reply ;) ill definitely see how far i can get and most likely mess something up haha o well some mistakes are pretty cool when it comes to coding lol
www.modsonline.com has a tutorial on COD4 modding. That might be of some help to u!
I don't think the problem in making a COD 4 mod would be the programming, it would be making a fun, playable map. You have to think strategy, keep it symmetrical for both teams, strategically place covers + weapons, all of that. I have never looked into it, so this is just a 100% guess lol. I can't imagine there being too much programming needed to be done since the game engine has that all done already. You should just give it a try though, do a little research, and have fun with it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement