• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
v0dKA

GUI Toolkit for both Windows and Linux

This topic is 3657 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I'm looking for a GUI toolkit that could be used on both Windows and Linux (more specifically, Vista and Ubuntu). (I'm working on a small project with other people, and we're all using different OSes.) Besides being installable on all the different platforms, I would hope that this toolkit would:
  • have a designer that works on both platforms. Few things are more tedious than designing a GUI in code. For this reason, pretty much all of .NET is ruled out. Mono makes it possible to write in C# under Linux, but as far as I am aware, it does not have a designer for Linux.
  • be capable of being used from either Python, C#, or C++, because these are the languages I'm most familiar with. Java would have been great -- it runs on every platform, and I heard good things about Swing -- but none of us are familiar with it.
  • not require installing a million different dependencies, especially on Windows. I personally would not mind that much, but I would hate to tell my team that they would all have to install Gtk over this simple project.
  • be relatively simple to use. After all, the GUI is far from the main focus of the project, and a quick-n-dirty interface would work just as well. I prefer to stay away from wxWidgets based on past experience -- a great toolkit, and a great concept, but learning it would be an endeavor all its own. Python's EasyGUI would have been a godsend. The only problem is, a progress bar type of a control would be not just nice, but essential, for this project, and it doesn't look like EasyGUI has one.
  • I realize I'm being quite picky, but I'm really hoping that this dream toolkit exists and I'm just not aware of it. That's why I'm here. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Advertisement
- GTK, it is available for for win and linux, has C# bindings, has a designer (Glade)
- QT, also cross-platform, also C# bindings, designer: QtDesigner
- wxWidgets, cross-platform, don't know abount C# bindings but I assume they are available, designer: don't know

Thanks for the tips.

I've looked at all my options. There are quite a lot, but the GUI toolkit of my dreams does not seem to exist. They all fail on at least one of the requirements I listed.

I think I'll go with wxPython, which is based on wxWidgets. This fails the "easy to learn" criterion based on my experience using wxWidgets with C++ in the past. However, the Getting Started guide for wxPython claims otherwise, and I'll go ahead and bite the bait.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!