• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
samoz

Some questions about starting a MUD

This topic is 3657 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, I've finally found some time in the summer and I've decided that I want to start a MUD. I've started one several times in the past, but had to abandon it because of not having enough time. My question to you is which language do you think would be best for this? Java or C? I really like the OOP-ness of Java, but C is just so cutdown (which I like). I don't really know C++ very well so I'm not really considering that right now. Eventually, I would like the MUD to use scripts (of some sort), so I need to be able to include some sort of hook to use scripts on later. Any resources or comments about MUD development are also appreciated!

Advertisement
Which language are you more comfortable with? Either of those is quite capable of what you want to do, so unless you're doing it with the goal of learning a language you're probably best off selecting the one with which you have the most experience.

Another potential option seeing as you plan to later integrate scripting is to learn Python and write the entire game with that; again, it's more than capable of handling everything you'd need for a MUD, and you then wouldn't really need to worry about adding hooks for a scripting engine to use at a later date.

You say to code the game engine in Python, would this language be able to handle the entire MUD? Or just parts of it?

And I've read about Python hooking with C++, is it possible in C and/or Java?

Python can certainly handle everything you might need. Eve Online handles tens of thousands of concurrent users with Python code on both the server and client ends.

Quote:
Original post by samoz
You say to code the game engine in Python, would this language be able to handle the entire MUD? Or just parts of it?
There's no reason you couldn't write a high-quality MUD entirely in Python. A couple of commercial titles that have succesfully used Python to differing degrees include Eve Online (almost entirely Python), Toontown Online (Python, with core engine functionality written in C++) and Civilization IV (C++, with very extensive use of Python scripts).

Quote:
And I've read about Python hooking with C++, is it possible in C and/or Java?
Yes and yes. The Python documentation for doing so actually assumes C and leaves you with extra work if you're using C++, or for Java you would look into Jython.

EDIT: Corrected typo as per Kylotan's reply.

[Edited by - jbadams on June 18, 2008 9:28:40 AM]

I think jbadams meant "no reason you couldn't", not "no reason you could". :) Python is perfectly capable and 10x more suitable for MUD development than Java or C++.

I just installed Python and am playing around with it right now... I like the interpreted approach. That could be useful. I guess I'll post when the questions invariably come.

Good luck with it, and let us know how you get on - there's an excellent list of resources here if you're looking for something beyond the documentation to familiarise yourself with the language.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!