• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
nareshn2008

OpenGL OpenGL Texture Performance Question

This topic is 3751 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Let me describe my question. I have 2D drawing and 3D drawing using OpenGL in Windows. I have one 2D texture that displays images from my webcam using glTexSubImage2D function.It is displaying images at 25 frame/sec. I am drawing some 3D objects On texture. Everything works fine but i am using lot of CPU + RAM for all this process. I am updating 1.3 MP data in every frame for 25 frame/second. So Is there any method that i can do faster like GDI drawing StretchDIBits functions ?

Advertisement
As idinev mentioned, try to load the video stream directly into a PBO, instead of using the system memory to store the video stream. Then, copy the pixel data from the PBO to the texture by using glTexSubImage2D().

On my ATI card, I got ~790 MB/s transfer rate with PBO and ~250 MB/s without PBO. It is 3 times more throughput.

Here is my test program. Test yourself:
pboUnpack.zip

Hi songho

I had test PBO. But my graphic adaptor is not support PBO. Without PBO is using 50 to 60 % CPU for displaying 1024x1024 texture. Because i had released my software using glTexSubImage2D functions all users are using OnBoard Graphic Controller like Intel, and onboard graphic will not support some extensions.

So i need some lower level API to do this job faster.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!