• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Angidmench

Beginner programming advice needed

This topic is 3776 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Summary/problem: I'm looking for some advice in completing my goals. I have no intention on becoming a professional in software or game industry, I simply want to convert some childhood ideas into a playable freeware game. College is not an option for me, at this time. And my budget is quite small, so I'd prefer to accomplish my goals with little or no money invested. Please feel free to suggest any resources, that can help me finish my objectives. Such as training software, web-related resources, useful books, forums/communities.. anything would be helpful. If you think C# is a bad first language choice, let me know why. Thanks. My goals: 1. To learn a computer programming language (I've chosen C#) 2. Program a small-scale graphical, freeware fantasy game, with multi-player capabilities. What I know so far: Worked half-way through a C# programming book: I can recognize/utilize several operators, I have some understanding of variables, classes, methods. Also have worked with arrays. Completed projects: * Each of these projects were done in the console window. 1. Guess The Number 2. Tic Tac Toe 3. Hangman

Advertisement
Check out XNA if you're developing games in C#.

Creators Club

C# is probably a good choice considering it's easier to develop in rather than something like C++ (C++ is typically more cryptic for new programmers). That Creators Club has some great forums on programming in XNA as well as numerous resources to get you started. Otherwise simply Google 'XNA Tutorials' and see what comes up.

You really seem to be on the right track so far. Congrats. As Matt said, check out XNA for the underpinnings of game programming in C#. All three of the games you've programmed thus far have been turn-based as opposed to real-time (which makes sense, for console programming); perhaps for your next trick you should try Pong.

My point of progression is very similar to yours. My current project is a Win32 sprite viewer/animator. I choose this project so I could learn about animation, timers, dynamic memory allocation, XML parsing and the effective use of raw data. I choose this project so I could learn these things without having to worry about things like AI, collision detection etc. of a game. In addition to that, I will be able to QA all the sprites I use in games from here on out. I have learned a good bit in this project. Maybe it would help you. Good luck!

I don't think XNA is a good choice. It's quite low-level but just a few steps above DirectX 9. The way I started game development was with the Irrlicht engine. It's a really simple 3d engine that has excellent documentation and even ports to C#, Java, and VB.

I would recommend starting a project with C# and Irrlicht's .NET port.

Hope it helps!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!