• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Promit

SlimDX June 2008 Released

This topic is 3800 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The June 2008 release of SlimDX is now available for download! You can get it, as well as information about the new release, from our Downloads page. This release brings XAudio2 support, raw input support, 64 bit support, and a redistributable installer. Online documentation is now available as well. Most importantly, SlimDX is no longer beta! This is a big step, as we're finally labeling SlimDX as a stable library, rather than the drastically evolving beta it's been in the past. Other highlights include new samples contributed by users, a new documentation format and heavily expanded content, and fixes for nearly every known bug. See the Release Notes for a full list of changes.

Advertisement
From http://slimdx.mdxinfo.com/wiki/index.php?title=Release_Notes:
Quote:
Upgraded the project from VS 2005 to VS 2008.

Is it normal, that .NET 2.0 library depends on msvc?90.dll C/C++ dynamic runtime libraries (also on msvcm90.dll)? I mean - .NET 2.0 uses itself VC 2005 dynamic runtime libraries (msvc?80.dll), right?

I more or less understand how dependency on different C/C++ runtime libraries affect application, but I don't know what does msvcm90.dll file do and how it all works in managed context.

Quote:
Original post by paulecoyote
Congratulations [grin]
Seconded - good effort by all involved and definitely something the wider community does/will appreciate greatly

Keep up the good work,
Jack

Quote:
Original post by bubu LV
Is it normal, that .NET 2.0 library depends on msvc?90.dll C/C++ dynamic runtime libraries (also on msvcm90.dll)? I mean - .NET 2.0 uses itself VC 2005 dynamic runtime libraries (msvc?80.dll), right?

I more or less understand how dependency on different C/C++ runtime libraries affect application, but I don't know what does msvcm90.dll file do and how it all works in managed context.
It's not .NET that depends on the VC9 libraries -- it's us. C++/CLI code uses the CRT, so there is a direct dependency there, regardless of what .NET uses. Since we're building in VC9, we need the VC9 runtimes. The March release required the 2005 SP1 runtimes.

Basically, we decided it wasn't a big deal, since the 2008 runtime is slightly smaller than the 2005 SP1 runtime, and both were equally likely to be missing on target machines.

I know, that .NET 2.0 doesn't depend on VC9. That is why I asked - is it normal for .NET library (SlimDX) to depend on it. Because I am assuming that .NET 2.0 framework itself depends on VC8 libraries because it installs them. And for applications and its libraries to use different C/C++ dynamic runtime libraries is usually bad idea.

Ack. It turns out that this installer was not correctly setting up XAudio2 or X3DAudio, so I've uploaded an SP1 version of the package that does install it correctly. You don't need to download the new one if you already have the DX June SDK or the DX June redist, or if you're not doing audio work.

Sorry for the mistake; I should have caught this sooner.

Congratulations...

I've moved my project over to this latest release and it runs great.

Thanks for all your hard work, those of us out here in the community using this library appreciate it very much.

For those that don't use SlimDX yet... if you're writting in C#, take a serious look at SlimDX, stability, design and the support on the forum here rivals any professional company and the pace at which improvements are made is stunning. I have seen many professional projects that didn't respond as quick nor were as polished as SlimDX is.

Good job guys and thanks again for your hard work.

Marcel

I want to second GoodFun's gratitude. I've been working with Managed DX from the August 2007 SDK because the last version of SlimDX I used (Nov 07) didn't have the features I needed. This new one does, so this afternoon I ported my project over to SlimDX. I'm amazed at how little effort it took. Thank you very much for putting so much work into this. I for one greatly appreciate it.

This goes to show (*cough* MICROSOFT *cough*) that there is a considerable Managed-DX community out there that doesn't care for the XBox360-exclusivity XNA has been showing in the last couple iterations. I don't care what Roy Taylor says; I'll be making PC games until they throw away the key.

Oh, and while I'm using BASS.NET for all my audio needs, the XAudio2 interfaces are a sweet addition.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!