[web] php mvc suggestion

Started by
4 comments, last by Mathachew 15 years, 10 months ago
Hi! I'm looking at the list mvc php implementations over at wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_view_controller#PHP) and I'm quite overwhelmed by the amount present in the list. Given that I am not familiar with anything on it, what good implementation in the long run would you guys suggest for someone like me, a newbie to php?
Advertisement
Yes, there are quite a lot of choices!

I personally use CodeIgniter because it's fairly simple but powerful at the same time, and it has good documentation.
Codeigniter is alright for a start. However, that is not true MVC. My friend Mike is writing a very modular content management framework, and he briefly goes over a good web implementation of MVC here. You can also check the Google Code repo for some sample source.
CodeIgniter, Zend, CakePHP, and Symfony are probably the frameworks with the best documentation, an important factor when you are starting. I say get your feet wet with their tutorials and see which feels right for you.
Thanks everyone. I'll check out your suggestions!
I second CakePHP. I played with Zend for a while, but most of my sites are small sites and aren't anywhere close to an enterprise application. I started a new project with a co-worker and he decided to use CakePHP and I gotta say that I'm pretty impressed with their design. It was following along the lines of how I wanted to create a framework where the database and application and naming schemes are tied together. I could go on and on, but I recommend it over Zend for its simplicity in use.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement