• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
freeworld

[HLSL+Effect files] detecting passes... are there and IDEs?

This topic is 3657 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Curious how do you detect how many passes are in a technique? I can't seem to see any functions in the docs. Also are there any IDE's for writting HLSL code that auto format similar to how VS formats code? Currently I'm just using a blank header file within my solution to write HLSL then copy paste it, wich gets real tedious having to switch back and forth.

Advertisement
For general rendering runtime use, after selecting a technique, when you Begin() an effect, you pass a UINT pointer, and it fills in the number of passes. You then begin each pass, render, endpass, then after all passes, end the effect.

Alternatively, GetTechniqueDesc() returns the number of passes.

If you want details about the pass, you can call GetPass() for each pass of a technique, then give the pass handle to GetPassDesc()

Quote:
Original post by freeworld
Also are there any IDE's for writting HLSL code that auto format similar to how VS formats code? Currently I'm just using a blank header file within my solution to write HLSL then copy paste it, wich gets real tedious having to switch back and forth.
For Visual Studio, you can try InteliShade (a pain in the back side to find given they use a single "l" where everyone else uses "ll" [rolleyes]), or there is Render Monkey (from ATI) or FXComposer (from Nvidia).

hth
Jack

Quote:
Original post by jollyjeffers
Quote:
Original post by freeworld
Also are there any IDE's for writting HLSL code that auto format similar to how VS formats code? Currently I'm just using a blank header file within my solution to write HLSL then copy paste it, wich gets real tedious having to switch back and forth.
For Visual Studio, you can try InteliShade (a pain in the back side to find given they use a single "l" where everyone else uses "ll" [rolleyes]), or there is Render Monkey (from ATI) or FXComposer (from Nvidia).

hth
Jack

Intelishade looks interesting I'll look into that, I really don't need anything like rendermonkey, just a text editor that auto formats with indents and such.

and thank you Namethatnobodyelsetook I'll look into those.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!