• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dhulli

Creating a 2d RPG, need help

This topic is 3751 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm currently making a 2d RPG game with C++ and the HGE engine. So far, I've got a sprite which can walk in all four directions each with a different sprite. Now I need to know what to do next and also need a few questions answered, -How do I make the rpg 'world'? Do I use something like 'world coordinates' and place objects in that. Then how would I go about moving the screen in the world coordinates to follow the character? -For the background 'tiles'. How do I create them and the level. Should I make a seperate level editor in which I place each individual sprite for each tile and then the information is stored in a file from which my game takes the information on the level? And for rendering the tiles do I use a loop until each and every object is rendered every single frame. Wouldn't it be better to render them only once? Or when the view is changed. How do I go about doing that. As in HGE there is a single Render function which is called every frame. Thanks.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!