My sounds think once is enough

Started by
4 comments, last by CGameProgrammer 24 years, 5 months ago
Well, I more or less solved the problem. When I specify DSBCAPS_LOCSOFTWARE, it works fine (isn't that always the way?). But when I omit it, and DirectSound puts the sound buffer on hardware, lo and behold it doesn't work. I've noticed similar trends with graphics. What the hell's up with hardware acceleration? It never works!

*sigh* Well, does anyone have any ideas as to why it's not working [on hardware]?

------------------
~CGameProgrammer( );

~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
Advertisement
More than likely a broken driver.

/Niels

<b>/NJ</b>

Does it say "Driver is certified" in
Control Panel -> DirectX (icon) -> DirectSound (property sheet) ?

Reaver

in DirectX, they added a new flag DSBCAPS_LOCDEFER. This defers the decision of whether to use software or hardware till the call to Play.

As a side effect, we've found it to be a good workaround for a lot of buggy drivers with hardware accel. Yahamas are one example of buggy as hell drivers.

------------------
-vince

-vince

The sounds (played by DirectSound as static buffers) worked fine on the computer I was developing on, but when I tried it on a different computer (a Gateway 2000 desktop), the sounds only play once; then they are lost forever. IDirectSound::Play isn't returning any errors though. Any ideas?

------------------
~CGameProgrammer( );

~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
I take it you mean DirectX 7.0; I'm using, I believe, the DirectX 5.0 DirectSound library. Also the sound card is an Ensoniq. The computer that the sound works fine on, even in hardware mode, also uses an Ensoniq, but this one (the error-prone one) is an SB AudioPCI 64D.

------------------
~CGameProgrammer( );

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement