• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
KoMaXX

Please beta(alpha?)-test my PDA-game!

This topic is 3809 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everybody! I'm for quite some time now working on my own turn-based PocketPC game called "PoRoBa". More accurately, it's a game-framework, but never mind. I'm a student and have just access to one PocketPC - my own old MDA III. So, I've not yet the chance to test it on any other hardware yet. Therefore, here's my plea: Please go to http://www.poroba.com/ , give the game a spin and tell me your impressions - even if it's just "didn't work". Any comments here or in my shoutbox are highly appreciated! And since this is a technical forum, some details: PoRoBa was written completely in C# and relies just on .Net 2.0 and GAPI. Everything from there was exclusively written by me (rendering, blending, image-handling, compressions, text-rasterization, ...). And no, there is no sound or music ;) Thank you, KoMaXX

Advertisement
Hidden
I think it may be in the wrong forum. I didn't even see this post until now, because I never read the PDA-forum. Maybe you should place it in this forum instead?

Required download from microsoft. Downloaded and installed. Tried to run again, it wouldn't.

I'm on a new WM6.1 device -- also note that GAPI has been deprecated for four years now...

No sound ? You can use FMOD 3.75 with the C# wrapper ( google it. ) or if you have mod files you can use Hekkus Sound System (HekkusNet). Both are good.

@Kada2k6
Thank you, I will try the "Announcements"-Forum as well!

@frob
I'm sorry to hear that! Can you please give me some more information on what went wrong? What type of PDA do you use? Has it QVGA-resolution (240x320)? Did you get any error-messages?
I know that GAPI is deprecated, but there are several reasons why PoRoBa still uses it:
(1) When I started development, there was little else
(2) I like to know what's going on "under the hood"
(3) Backwards-compatibility. My own PDA is still a WM2003 :/
(4) It's deprecated, but there is also little reason to believe that it won't work anymore on any PDAs to come in the next years

@MarijnStevens
Thank you for the good advice! Do you think sound is a real issue? I always deduced from my own PDA-gaming-behaviour that noone would even want sound: I play mostly when I have to wait somewhere or travel by public transportation. At those occasions I can usually not hear what the tiny speaker on my device is squealing. And in the odd case when I haven't forgotten my headphones, I prefer listening to my own mp3s ... Do you miss background-music and sounds?

Quote:
Original post by KoMaXX
@frob
I'm sorry to hear that! Can you please give me some more information on what went wrong? What type of PDA do you use? Has it QVGA-resolution (240x320)? Did you get any error-messages?
I know that GAPI is deprecated, but there are several reasons why PoRoBa still uses it:
(1) When I started development, there was little else
(2) I like to know what's going on "under the hood"
(3) Backwards-compatibility. My own PDA is still a WM2003 :/
(4) It's deprecated, but there is also little reason to believe that it won't work anymore on any PDAs to come in the next years

I'm on a HP ipaq 211, using WM6. It is a VGA screen. I just got the generic error message the OS gives when a library is not present. (I don't recall the actual text, but I've seen it a bunch of times in my own handheld development.)

@frob

The 211 has two peculiarities I couldn't test before: VGA-resolution (though I guess that's not the problem) and 18 Bit Color resolution (as opposed to the common 15 Bit). I'm afraid, PoRoba won't run your PPC until I get my hands on a similar display :( Thanks for testing and letting me know!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!