• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Wavesonics

C++ 0x

This topic is 3652 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

When C++ 0x ( Or C++ 1x as it may becomes lol )spec is released, are compiler developers THEN going to start writing support into their compilers? Or are there compiler writers already who are writing support for it as the draft goes through revisions? I keep hearing about how it's going to revolutionize C++, but when is the question, say the spec FINALLY gets finalized next year, then the compiler writers start the arduous process, when do we have our first 0x compliant compiler? 2010, 2011, later? I mean how long has it taken GCC to get up to speed with the current spec?

Advertisement
GCC has some preliminary support for the stuff that is basically considered solid, as far as I know. MSVC++ doesn't support any of it, as far as I know. I don't know about other compilers.

I would imagine most compiler vendors will wait until the spec is final before spending too much engineering effort on it.

Quote:
Original post by Wavesonics
When C++ 0x ( Or C++ 1x as it may becomes lol )spec is released, are compiler developers THEN going to start writing support into their compilers?

The committee will not consider a submission without a working prototype. They want to avoid a fiasco like the export keyword this go-around. To that end, there is an experimental branch of GCC wherein pretty much every single feature or change to C++-0X has been implemented. It evolves fairly rapidly so if you want to experiment, your best bet is to check the source out of SVN and build it yourself. It will likely be about 6 months between standard finalization and official release of a compliant compiler (branch integration, regression testing, verification, and packaging are all non-trivial tasks).

But see this.

It's also quite likely that EDG-based compilers will also have a compliant compiler fairly quickly after the standard has been finalized.

Microsoft I can't comment on (they released MSVC 6 a few months after the current standard was finalized and didn't release anything like a standard compiler until 6 years after the standard was finalized). They've managed to hire a lot of big names in the C++ world to work on their tools, though, and have made a public commitment to timely releases of standards-compliant tools. After all, it took them only 3 years to release tr1.

Edit: Added a link to the GCC C++-0X page.

Mostly MS seems to ignore the spec till it is finalized. just look at VC6 released the same year as the spec and nowhere close to conformance. Then you have to wait for this or that to trickle in. Gcc supports somethings from the draft, but it doesn't seem like a concerted effort to be draft compliant.

MS already implemented a version of TR1 in their beta service pack 1 for visual studio 2008:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D466226B-8DAB-445F-A7B4-448B326C48E7&displaylang=en

"This feature pack also includes an implementation of TR1. Portions of TR1 are scheduled for adoption in the upcoming C++0x standard as the first major addition to the ISO 2003 standard C++ library. Our implementation includes a number of important features such as:

Smart pointers

Regular expression parsing

New containers (tuple, array, unordered set, etc)

Sophisticated random number generators

Polymorphic function wrappers

Type traits

And more!"

Standard C++ Library TR1 Extensions Reference
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb982198.aspx

Quote:
Original post by stonemetal
Mostly MS seems to ignore the spec till it is finalized. just look at VC6 released the same year as the spec and nowhere close to conformance. Then you have to wait for this or that to trickle in. Gcc supports somethings from the draft, but it doesn't seem like a concerted effort to be draft compliant.

I don't think we should try to draw conclusions about Microsoft's intentions / plans regarding the release of a C++ 0x compliant compiler based on VC++ 6.0 ... IMO they've learnt a lot since then and are much more committed to standards compliance than they were back then.

From this post in Sutter's blog, somebody in Microsoft has implemented the new lambda function feature in an experimental compiler(That's what he used to test the examples).

So at least they are doing something.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!