Maya 8.5 price?

Started by
16 comments, last by Moe 15 years, 10 months ago
So last year in school I had a chance to take a class about 3D modelling using Maya 8.5. I found it pretty awesome, and quite enjoyed it. I even managed to turn out a few small test models for a game I was working on in my spare time (my unreleased 4E6 entry, to be exact). (Feel free to check out a model I did for a computer graphics class here. I've got a clip of a video I did
">here as well. It had some issues, but was pretty fun to put together). Anyway, I've been mulling around with the idea of actually buying Maya 8.5, but am not sure if I can bring myself to pay the $2000 for it. I know there is the Personal Learning Edition, but I'd like to actually be able to do stuff that isn't watermarked. (The watermarks in the app itself were almost enough to drive me insane). So this brings me to my question: How did/do you folks afford software like that? Do you just pony up the cash and go for it? Is there some way I can get a cheaper (but still for commercial use) version as a student?
Advertisement
There are cheaper alternatives
Lightwave is $895
XSI SoftImage Essentials is $495
AcademicStuperStore.com

Check it out.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Quote:Original post by Daaark
There are cheaper alternatives
Lightwave is $895
XSI SoftImage Essentials is $495

True enough, but I'm already quite acquanted with Maya. I do have the SoftImage XSI Mod Tool, and should probably take the time to learn it before dropping a wad of cash on Maya.

zer0wolf: Are there limitations on what can/can't be done with the student editions? For example, if I were to use it to create content for a game which I was to sell, would that be against the EULA?
IIRC the student edition of Maya is for "Non-Commercial Use" only. i.e. do whatever you want with it, it's not a limited piece of software like the PLE but you cannot sell or use your creations in commercially released software.

Easy enough to verify, just go to the autodesk website and read the license terms

-me
So it's useless. If you read the first post, that's exactly what he doesn't want. There isn't much difference between 3D apps other than the interface and the quality of their extra tools (like scripting languages and importers / exporters). If you are good enough to create that in Maya, there isn't any reason that you can't create it in any other app that has an intuitive interface. The techniques don't change from app to app.

If you want really cheap, DeleD and Fragmotion can get you by if you just need just static models and/or and animations. That's less than 150$ all together.
XSI Mod Tool is quite capable and I highly recommend it. You can actually set the hot keys and navigation style to match Maya's if you wish.

If you want to stick with Maya and you want to release commercial art with it then you're going to have to pony up the cash. It is simple as that.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Quote:Original post by zer0wolf
XSI Mod Tool is quite capable and I highly recommend it. You can actually set the hot keys and navigation style to match Maya's if you wish.

Really? Hmm, that sounds promising. I won't be releasing anything commercial any time soon, so the XSI Mod Tool just might do the trick in the mean time.

Quote:Original post by zer0wolf
If you want to stick with Maya and you want to release commercial art with it then you're going to have to pony up the cash. It is simple as that.

That's sort of what I expected.

Thanks guys!

This may sound like a stupid question, but why not Blender? I'm no 3D modeler, but the last time I checked out their website, they had some high-quality examples of what could be done with it. And it is free.
Quote:Original post by Nairou
This may sound like a stupid question, but why not Blender? I'm no 3D modeler, but the last time I checked out their website, they had some high-quality examples of what could be done with it. And it is free.

Last time I tried blender, the UI was horrible. Like, really horrible. I'd rather stick with something that I'm more familiar with.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement