• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MajSlayer

Need some advise on .FX files

This topic is 3712 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I wanted to know if someone could recommend a .FX file to improve the general look in my XNA flight sim project. I'm new to .FX files and want to get started , but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.:( I'd just like something thats fast and improves the look of everything, the basiceffects in XNA just don't cut it, any ideas on what type of FXs I should try? L8r, MajSlayer

Advertisement
To be honest it's unlikely that you'll be able to improve things much by just throwing a new FX at the project, because it's only going to be able to use data that is contained in your model. The simplest way to improve things would probably be to set up a normal map for your model, and then use an FX file that does per-pixel normal mapping.

Most projects will write their own effects, since an effect is generally tied to the rendering engine being used by the game. You're not going to be able to just use someone else's shaders without at least modifying your own rendering code to match them. You're better off learning how techniques like normal mapping and environment mapping work, and then writing shaders that suit your own needs.

Aye thanks for the advise guys, I've been playing around with Rendermonkey and yeah seems there is no one .FX to really do a complete make-over of the scene. I'll give normal mapping a try that sounds like a good place to start for sure, and maybe try a light bloom effect.

Thanks again
MajSlayer

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!