• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
3dmodelerguy

What do you think of this license?

This topic is 3711 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

It is basically a modified version of the MIT license, i added one clause in there so that any modifications/addition made to the core code must also be released under the same license but still allow it is to be used in any type of project, do you think it does that: Copyright (c) <year> <copyright holders> Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions: 1. The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software. 2. All modification or additions to the framework API must also be released under this same license. THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE. [Edited by - 3dmodelerguy on June 20, 2008 6:40:54 AM]

Advertisement

1. What is this software? A library or an application?

2. Quote:
    Original post by 3dmodelerguy
    2. All modification or additions to the core code(the framework) must also be
    released under this same license.

This sounds very vague to me. What is the "core code"? Is it a subset of whatever you are releasing? How will people know what constitutes the "core code"? Licenses have to be pretty unambiguous.

3. It's probably not a good idea to write a license unless you are a lawyer. Try looking over the licenses here. Hopefully one will fit your needs.

1. A PHP Framework
2. The Framework API
3. I understand that and though about using that LGPL but I have never been able to fully know for 100% that if that code is not modified, if i can include that source code in my project that is released under a commercial type license. I want a license that requires any modification/additions made to the framework to be require to be released under that same license but also allow anyone to use the code is any license they would like.

How about something like "Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0", this basically means anyone can use the source in commercial or non commercial and they can alter the source but they must release it under the same licence you have also giving you credit.

with the "Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0" how it says:

Share Alike. If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same, similar or a compatible license.

1. So in terms of a web framework, it seems if i build a website or web application off this license i would be able to release the created code under any license because it only uses the framework to build the site, right?

2. My main concern is that lets say i build a website for a client, and they want the copyright to the code of their website, with this framework and during the development of their site i need to make changes and add to the framework. I want to make sure that the changes and additions i made to the framework i am able to keep in my framework and they can't be like well that is code you created during the development of my site so it is my code. Would this license do that?

I know this is somewhat asking for legal advise and i know you guys are probably no lawyers so i know to be 100% sure i would be to consulate with a lawyer but trying to get a general idea from what you understand of the license.

Quote:
Original post by 3dmodelerguy
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
copies of the Software
, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
[...]
2. All modification or additions to the framework API must also be
released
under this same license.
These things would seem to be contradictory.

I'd suggest either finding an existing licence more suitable for your purposes or consulting a lawyer if you really want a decent licence with these conditions.

Difficult to say. Some people could argue that you have introduced a contradiction in the license, since you essentially grant some rights in the first parts, and then limit these rights in your new clause. That's not good.

Keep in mind that the MIT license was written and worded with full freedom in mind. If you just staple on some additional clause that introduces limitation and is incompatible with the remaining part of the license, then the entire thing could become null and void. And that includes the exclusion of liability, which is very dangerous for you. Essentially people could use the slight contradiction in your license as a backdoor to make you liable for damages. If you really want to use this license, then make sure to add a standard 'if one part of this license is considered null and void by a jurisdiction, all other parts shall remain in force' or similar.

I would use a proven existing license that fits your specific needs, if I were you. Or consult an IP lawyer, but that's probably not an option (costs lots of money).

Edit: bah, jbadams beat me to it :)

Yea it seemed like i was doing that but was not sure.

In my last post i issued the example of my main concern and not sure which license would take care that issue(mainly issue number 2).

Creative commons deals with this as changes to the "framework" are licence under a compatible licence to the original.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!