• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
WhitAngl

Hair rendering

This topic is 3708 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi ! I was wondering if anyone tried to implement the Dual Scattering Approximation for Fast Multiple Scattering in Hair paper, this year at Siggraph. I contacted the author about several issues I had (in particular there is a typo in Eq.25 in the integration domain, which is from phi-pi/2 to phi+pi/2), but I have now more and more and I do not want to harrass them. I have now the 3 following problems: - In Eq.6, Omega_f is defined as the front hemisphere, thus depending on the incoming light direction. In this way, the integrals should be switched so that the integration domain can vary with the incident angle. If there is no typo here, then I do not really see what is Omega_f (which should then be a constant integration domain). - In this same equation, I do not see anything which prevents the attenuation to be greater than 1. In particular, even energy conservation (which is expressed with a cos(theta_out) instead of cos(theta_in) like in this formula) can prevent this to be greater than 1. This makes the equation 5 diverge with increasing number of bounces. - Also, at normal incident angles where there should be most forward scattering, my numerical evaluation of the Eq6 decreases to almost 0 (I might have make a mistake in my code... but just to be sure...) Did someone implement this method without troubles ? Thank you very much.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!