Begginer Programming Language

Started by
18 comments, last by Final Fantazy 15 years, 10 months ago
Hi guys, I was wondering what you all thought to be a easy game programing language for a beginner. I have been messing around with some C# and it seems like theres plenty of information out there on programing windows application, and console applications, but nothing really out there for game programing in C#. I would like to learn how to write my own games, but maybe I have just chosen the wrong language. Any suggestions? Thanks guys!
Advertisement
Take a look XNA for C#.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

yea, Ive have been messing around with it for a while now, but it just seems to complicated to me for right now. I know programming isn't learned in a night, but I was just wondering if there is a more documented language to start out with.
Can you explain to use where you are with programming right now? What are some of the applications you have made - in particular what is the most complex program you have written?

When we know that we might be able to give some more solid advice.
to be honest, I've written a few hello world programs, and a few windows applications like a color picker, and a web browser, but thats it. Really basic stuff to. I like the visual studio IDE allot, and i like C# allot, but it doesn't seem to be to game development friendly. So i would say im somthing just above a complete beginner.
I think you may be trying to run before you can walk here. If you're new to programming, everything is going to seem complicated. The thing about programming games is that it's a subset of programming as a whole. The best thing to do is first learn the basics of programming, then move on to a game project.

If you've already done these projects, great, try making connect 4, just do it text based if you have to, nothing fancy, but it will teach you the basics of a computer game at least, handling inputs, outputs, states, win conditions, draw conditions, rules for handling input etc.

As for programming languages that are better documented, there's probably nothing specific, though i do suggest checking out the C++ and C# workshops iif you intend to use either of those languages, they are a great resource. Links below

C++ Workshop
C# Workshop

EDIT: You replied while i did

If you're going with C#, try making a console version of Connect 4, it's a great learning experience :) I recently did a text based simple connect 4 game in C++, it's a great learning experience, if you know the rules to connect 4 it's also a pretty easy project. If you want to try that avenue, go right ahead and if you have questions i'd be happy to answer the best i can.

Keep in mind that if you want to make a game, you should spend time in the design phase before the code phase, know what you need to do before you try to do it.

So before you start coding, write down all the rules, how people take turns and how they win (and if they can draw, how that would happen).

Then, think about how an actual game of connect 4 is played and write it out step by step, after that, you have a basic map of how to begin coding your game :)

-------------------------------------All i know is i don't know anything
Tic Tac Toe looks the same in any language really.

(for the pedantic; yes, I realize that isn't quite true. The practical point for this thread remains)
You are not going to find something more "documented" than c# and XNA. Also, a web browser is not a beginner project, I don't see how you could have made one. I just started fooling around with XNA and in day I've already made two demos (Although i have been programming for more than 10 years). In my opinion C# isn't the most elegant of languages, but it is certainly a pragmatic language.

I think C# and XNA is a great fit.
Don't forget Python! By all accounts C# is fine for games, and if you want to use what you know then go for it. But you can probably pick up Python in a couple weeks (especially with prior programming experience), and Pygame (python's game API) in a couple more, and be up and running. It doesn't get a whole lot easier than that.

Python may not be your thing. It's worth checking out, though.
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Ill look into pygame, and that C# seminar.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement