Begginer Programming Language

Started by
18 comments, last by Final Fantazy 15 years, 10 months ago
BTW, i was looking on the pygame website, and it looks like somthing I atually understand! I looks at some sample code, and I was able to see what it was doing. I think i might give python a try. Quick question though, what kind of IDE would I need?

Thanks!
Advertisement
You can use the builtin one from command line, idle (comes with python). spe, eric4
Quote:Quick question though, what kind of IDE would I need?
You have quite a bit of flexibility here, and you don’t even need an IDE (just a plain text editor is fine). You should look at the Python site’s wiki. They have a giant list of popular IDEs and text editors.
Quote:Original post by Final Fantazy
to be honest, I've written a few hello world programs, and a few windows applications like a color picker, and a web browser, but thats it. Really basic stuff to. I like the visual studio IDE allot, and i like C# allot, but it doesn't seem to be to game development friendly. So i would say im somthing just above a complete beginner.

That's your problem is that you've mistake C# for Flash or Gamemaker where you can drag and drop components to make a game with very little to no code at all to make a working game!
You actually have to learn to program in C# first if you want to make games with XNA.
Well they do have that cool RPG game template and the spaceshooter that are complete games in XNA that you can modify the source code but you still need to know what you are doing!
Pygame has a shorter learning curve than C# but the IDE it comes with is pretty poor compared to Visual C# express.

[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
I have to strongly disagree with you on that. I did my research before i started trying to learn C#. And I have been around (not allot) but enough of game development to know learning a programming language isn't like game maker, or flash. And i knew it wasn't going to be an easy learning curve, in fact, i haven't even touched XNA, its all been learning C# because I knew i needed that foundation first.So someone being told they haven't even tried to learn, after they have spent many weeks trying to learn the right way first, tends to make them a bit annoyed.
BTW, i was looking on the pygame website, and it looks like somthing I atually understand! I looks at some sample code, and I was able to see what it was doing. I think i might give python a try. Quick question though, what kind of IDE would I need?

Thanks!

I use Notepad++. It's just a text editor. The important thing is that it has tabs for different files, but it also has syntax highlighting/auto-indentation for about a bazillion languages (Python among them), code-block-collapsing, and you can run your script with the "Run" function in the menu, even though it's not actually an executable. If you only have one file, it's easier to just use the little IDE that comes with Python (at least how I got it), called IDLE. Heck, you can just have 5 IDLE windows up all the time, but I like tabs.
I am an avid python user, just not for games. The main question I would like to ask is what do you see in python that you are not seeing in c# and xna that you feel makes it easier to program games.

im not talking about language features, I am well aware of the beauty of pythonic code, but am wondering from a beginners perspective where you are getting the idea that C# and Xna is trickier than something like pygame.
im not sure....im really just to confused right now to even try and learn. I guess im just trying to bite off more then i can chew. I got to learn to start off with more of the basics and move up. As for python, it seems like something a little more basic, but after looking closely today, it looks like its the same kinda stuff as in C#.
im not sure....im really just to confused right now to even try and learn. I guess im just trying to bite off more then i can chew. I got to learn to start off with more of the basics and move up. As for python, it seems like something a little more basic, but after looking closely today, it looks like its the same kinda stuff as in C#.

It's probably just the realization that most programmers eventually get if they stick to programming long enough -- "Programming is HARD!"
Anyways, like I've been trying to help you realize sooner than later is that until you have written several 500+ lines of C# programs from scratch you don't know how to program in C#!
If you don't know how to program in C# switching to Python won't be any easier. I know since I tried when I first started myself-LOL!
It will definitely be less lines of code in Python though as this guy who wrote his game in C++,C# and F# which would be similar to Python shows:

"C++ and Direct3D 9.0 on Windows XP

This version took about 15 hours to write, and was around 1500 lines of code. It was easy to write and debug. (But after all, I am a full time C++ programmer.)

C# and Managed Direct3D on Windows XP

This version was a port of the C++ version. It took about 5 hours to port, and ended up being around 1100 lines. (It was smaller than C++ due to less boilerplate D3D initialization code.)

F# and Managed Direct3D on Windows XP

This version was a re-write of the C# version, with Direct3D code lifted from the F# interactive 3D sample. It took quite a while (25 hours) to write, partly because I’m new to F# and partly because I was using a borrowed computer (I’m on vacation) that didn’t have Visual Studio installed. So I was stuck using fsi and notepad. Fsi has some benefits for rapid development, but it was tedious to track down errors by copying-and-pasting code between notepad and fsi.

Currently the F# version has more features than the other versions, so it’s not fair to compare the line number count of the current version to the other versions. However, At the point where the F# version had the same functionality as the C# version, the line count was around 900 lines. It was shorter due to a coding style that used shorter variable names, and less white space. This coding style seems to be standard for F#, and is made possible by the type inferencing.
"

[Edited by - daviangel on June 22, 2008 5:14:37 AM]
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
thanks for all your help and suggestions guys! Im going to re look over everything ive done, and get a plan together for learning this stuff. Thanks for all the encouragement!

Jordan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement