Sign in to follow this  

pygame and sdl

This topic is 3463 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am learning pygame at the moment. I am wondering If after I learn Pygame well I would be able to transition into SDL later when I Inevitably want to make games in C or C++ later on. Essentialy could someone please describe what the relation between pygame and sdl is. I looked on pygame.org and I only got confused. All help is appreciated.

PyGame has a reasonably close mapping to SDL, though it makes changes to keep the interface more "pythonic." For instance, rather than passing in an object address (by pointer) to be filled out by a function, PyGame functions return the result as a return value - and even return tuples when appropriate. PyGame takes advantage of tuples extensively to support naturalistic syntax - a 3-tuple of numbers can be used to represent RGB color, for instance, with no other type information or object construction.

At the end of the day, though, the reason that migrating to SDL will be easy is because SDL is an easy library to understanding, and having used PyGame will have taught you various approaches to making games, which is the most important sort of practice you need.

This topic is 3463 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.