Sign in to follow this  

Problem w/ static const member variable in DLL

This topic is 3465 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm sure there is a simple solution for this problem but I've had trouble finding something on the web. I'm getting linker errors when I try to use a static member variable from a class exported to a DLL. For example,
// foo.h
class MY_API Foo
{
public:
    void moofa() {}

public:
    static const int bar;
};

// foo.cpp
const int Foo::bar = 0;

All is good if I create an instance and call moofa(), but if I try to reference Foo::bar I get a linking error (unable to find symbol). What do I need to do to export this static member variable correctly? [edit] If anyone knows a good source of info relating to DLLs, I'd really like to know (NB: that excludes MSDN)

Well with static constants that are of integral type, you can initialize them directly in the class declaration. Eg:

// foo.h
class MY_API Foo
{
public:
void moofa() {}

public:
static const int bar = 0;
};

Then you do not need to define it in any cpp file.

I don't know if that will fix your linking problem though, but since the definition has moved from the source to the header, it might.

Thanks for the help, but I think I've found the problem. The problem was in the way I was declaring the API macro. I was using

// export.h
#ifdef _USRDLL
#define MY_API_EXPORT __declspec(dllexport)
#define MY_API_IMPORT __declspec(dllimport)
#ifdef MYDLL_EXPORTS
#define MY_API MY_API_EXPORT
#else
#define MY_API MY_API_IMPORT
#endif
#else
#define MY_API
#define MY_API_EXPORT
#define MY_API_IMPORT
#endif

// foo.h
class MY_API Foo
{
};

Because I want to be able to create either a dynamic or static library. I wasn't defining _USRDLL in the project that imported the DLL. When I do that, it works. Why this was only a problem for the static member variable, I don't know. The member functions seemed to work fine.

This topic is 3465 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.