• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
EmptyVoid

DLLs for Linx and Mac?

This topic is 3652 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Yes I know that they are different file formats that require different methods to compile but I'm pretty sure there must be a way to make something like a DLL thats compatible cross platform. So my question is how?

Advertisement
On Linux and Mac the equivalent to DLLs from Windows are .so (Shared Object) files.
DLLs are just like executable files and inherently non cross platform. You still have to compile the code for each platform separately.

Actually, it's more typical for shared libraries to have a .dylib extension on the Mac. There's a subtle distinction between .dylibs and .sos, though.

Each platform also has its own convention about where it looks for shared libraries and how to change these search paths. You should research a little in to that, too.

MSDN and developer.apple.com will help you out for Windows and Mac OS X. For linux, it's usually something like the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable (among others).

Quote:
Original post by the_edd
For linux, it's usually something like the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable (among others).

Same for Macs although they also look for the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH as well. Generally speaking as long as you put your dylibs in standard place (/usr/lib or /usr/local/lib) then you will be okay.

Quote:
Original post by EmptyVoid
So how does 3DS Max deal with it's plug-ins?

3D Studio Max is not available for Linux or Macs. So it does not have to worry about it.

Quote:
Original post by Cromulent
Quote:

3D Studio Max is not available for Linux or Macs. So it does not have to worry about it.

That answered my question very well. Thanks lol

One thing though why on earth would you want a Mac or Linux in that case?...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Because there are just as good if not better 3D packages available for the Mac? Maya, Houdini, Blender, Lightwave etc.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Because there are just as good if not better 3D packages available for the Mac? Maya, Houdini, Blender, Lightwave etc.

I've worked with all of them there not as good for video games.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!