Sign in to follow this  

2D Games

This topic is 3460 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

For 2D games what would it be better to do? Use a 3D library and render in 2D or use a 2D library? If I done it with a 3D library would it be better to use images on a polygon or just render a model? I'm guessing each has their own pros & cons so could you list some please :)

I'd say use a 3D-API like OpenGL or DirectX. Today most 2D rendering is performed using those if hardware acceleration is required.

Whether to use sprites (textured quads), full 3d models or a combination of both mostly depends on the style of the game and the skills of the artists ;). Using sprites is likely to be faster than using textured 3d models but 3d models make animation and using certain effects (like lighting) easier.

I agree with Lord_Evil on that using the 2D capabilities of a 3D engine is probably best.

You can do special effects such as zooming (in or out), lighting and color alterations are easy. Also, transparencies are a LOT easier to do in this manner.

It depends on your goal and the game you have in mind. If you just want to put together a game with a minimum of fuss, then you might want to try a game creation package like GameMaker. If you want to learn a specific programming language via creating your game, then choose a graphics system with a lot of support with your language. In any case, it's probably best to just try a few different alternatives and go with the one that feels best for you. Some people find 3D APIs like OpenGL or Direct3D easier to use to create 2D games. Others find 2D libraries like SDL easier.

Quote:
Original post by MrPickle
I wouldn't want to have limitations...
You'll probably want to use either OpenGL or Direct3D directly, or use an existing engine that uses one of these APIs under the hood.

3D is the way to go these days. A 3D Accelerator does rotation, transparency and alpha-blending in its sleep. Often, these features won't be mapped to a pure-2D API such as DirectDraw, for instance, making the rendering fall-back to software (since practically zero modern 3D accelerators expose 2D versions of their functionality in a purely 2D way.)

That said, DirectX has added Sprite interfaces to Direct3D to make things easier on you, and SDL can use OpenGL as a back-end, so either of those APIs will give you access to most features while still providing a predominantly 2D world-view.

I do all my lighting etc in a 3D modelling program like 3DS Max then render as transparent *.png sprites. For actual game animation rendering I use HGE 2D graphics engine.

m0ng00se
http://www.freewebs.com/m0ng00se/
Home of BackStreets 3D

This topic is 3460 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.