Sign in to follow this  

[web] MySQL and SQL databases for practice (sites?)

This topic is 3459 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all, I have been practicing/learning using MySql and SQL in C# and .NET on my local machine. I was wondering (to make sure I understand connection strings and such), if there are any websites or whatever that have some MySql and SQL databases open to the public to "practice" on? I did try google, but wasn't sure exactly what to use as a search string, lol. Thanks for any suggestions!

Don't do that. Grab some free virtual machine software, create a server in the VM, making sure to assign it an IP of its own, and then have your scripts connect to it from your local (host) machine. For instance, VMWare Server and Ubuntu server make for an easily configurable LAMP server you can practice web-based development against (the Ubuntu installer with automatically configure LAMP for you if you request it).

Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Don't do that. Grab some free virtual machine software, create a server in the VM, making sure to assign it an IP of its own, and then have your scripts connect to it from your local (host) machine. For instance, VMWare Server and Ubuntu server make for an easily configurable LAMP server you can practice web-based development against (the Ubuntu installer with automatically configure LAMP for you if you request it).

Say what now? I can connect to a server that's in a virtual environment from outside the VM? Or am I reading what you are saying wrong? I am using Xampp right now and a MySql database on it. But, it's configured as localhost, and I wanted to make sure that what I am doing will work somewhere non-local. On thinking about it, I can assign an IP to Xampp also I believe...maybe I should look that up.

Quote:
Original post by shawnre
But, it's configured as localhost, and I wanted to make sure that what I am doing will work somewhere non-local.
There really isn't any difference between accessing a local or remote database. The capabilities are determined by the level of access of the user account you are logging in with, not the access method.

This topic is 3459 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.