• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
aeroz

OpenGL Different texture qualities

This topic is 3654 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How can you let the user choose different graphics quality for an application? In my game I want to have multiple settings (low quality, middle, high). I'm using OpenGL but I think this question applies for every library. Do I have to create multiple versions of a texture? (tree_low.png, tree_middle.png, tree_high.png) Or can I specify an option to load the original texture with less quality? Thx!

Advertisement
As far as I know, there is no "option" to load a high quality texture with less quality. If you don't want to waste disk space you can generate lower quality texture by resizing your high quality texture but I don't recommand it (since it will slow your loadding down). It's better to do it before shipping because you can ask your artist to work on middle and lower quality texture once you are sure that the high quality texture is fine.
I worked on a PC/PS2 game and texture were always created for the highest PC resolution then resized with automatic batching process and only few where modified by an artist to adapt to PS2.

Thank you for the reply.
Quote:
resized with automatic batching process

You mean that the new textures were resized copies of the high qualty textures? And they were saved on disk before the game is running?

I think I understand that. But in the case of my menu background, which is 1600x1200, should I create different copies of it? (like menu1024x768.png, menu 800x600.png, and so on)
What I do is loading the big texture in OpenGL and just displaying it over the screen. If you have a good resolution you will see more, but if you have a smaller resolution, OpenGL will use a filter (GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER I think) to display the resized picture. With small resolution this will lead to loading much more pixel data than it's needed. (I don't know if it's a big problem, but I want my game to be playable on not so good graphic cards too)
(Maybe I should post this last question in the OpenGL section. )

aeroz

Quote:

You mean that the new textures were resized copies of the high qualty textures? And they were saved on disk before the game is running?

Yes lowest quality texture are resized copies of the high quality texture. You should do the resize before shipping so you can use photoshop script or so to resize your pictures.

For main menu, you should use texture that fit exactly your resolution since you want the highest possible quality. You can also use the highest resolution texture and display only a part of it on lowest resolution. Most of the time, performance on main menu is not the problem. ;)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!