Sign in to follow this  

Choosing a platform

This topic is 3462 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My team and I are beginning our first game project--Pong. To go with that though, we plan on putting in a small story and possibly some 3D backgrounds. Seeing that we don't know exactly how to go about this, I was wondering what sort of platform we should do this type of project on, what type of engine may be needed and recommended type of programming. I don't mean to sound like I haven't done any research but I've done a ton of research and after all the research I've done, there's always something I'm missing and I believe these are it. Thanks for any help. I do appreciate it. EDIT: Actually, a better question would be what kind of platform would be practical for a no-budget team since we don't have a great amount of resources.

Well, I haven't noted what language to use since I don't know what language to use. I'm not the programmer on the team, I'm the 3D modeler. Regardless of that, I'm looking to possibly recruit a programmer and I have to tell him what type of language we are going to use. I want to be informed and I need to inform my team as much as possible.

I was just going to say that CrimsonSun.
Don't you mean sirkibble2 that your programmer will advise you what language he is going to use? A good coder is hard to find and if you find one then it's usually best to not annoy them.

Just tell them the result that you need and let them pick the right tool for the job.

m0ng00se
http://www.freewebs.com/m0ng00se/
Home of BackStreets 3D

these guys are right, if you're the modeler/game designer, then you give your programmers an idea of what you want(visually, gameplay and experience wise) and they'll handle it, if your programmer doesn't know what language/engine or API they should use, then they're not gonna know enough to get anything done, and just a word of advice, if it's a pong game and all you want is 3D Backgrounds, go with pre-rendered backgrounds

Quote:
Original post by CrimsonSun
I don't think the 3d modeler should dictate what programming language the project is going to use. Let the programmer(s) decide.

I didn't know that's how this worked. I'm just thinking "work as a team" so as a project manager, I thought it was my responsibility to figure that out. Now that I know this, I have a better idea of what to do.

Thank you for the help.

Quote:
Original post by sirkibble2
Quote:
I don't think the 3d modeler should dictate what programming language the project is going to use. Let the programmer(s) decide.

I didn't know that's how this worked. I'm just thinking "work as a team" so as a project manager, I thought it was my responsibility to figure that out. Now that I know this, I have a better idea of what to do.

Thank you for the help.

As project manager you'll mostly be dealing with things like allocation of resources, making sure that bugs are fixed in a timely fashion, making sure everyone knows what to do, handling any queries, advertising, dealing with any problems between team members etc etc. Making sure that everything works as a whole basically while you let individual members deal with the specifics of their particular domain.

Quote:
Original post by DevFred
Quote:
Pong. [...] we plan on putting in a small story

Does Pong really need a story?

Does Peggle?

Quote:
Original post by Cromulent
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you for the help.

As project manager you'll mostly be dealing with things like allocation of resources, making sure that bugs are fixed in a timely fashion, making sure everyone knows what to do, handling any queries, advertising, dealing with any problems between team members etc etc. Making sure that everything works as a whole basically while you let individual members deal with the specifics of their particular domain.

Makes sense. That's a tough enough job in itself.

And DevFred, I don't need a story but since we have a story writer on the team, I decided to put a little twist on the project and add one--see how creative we can get. You'd have to know some of the backstory to our group to understand this whole circumstance.

This topic is 3462 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.