Sign in to follow this  

major causes of slowdowns in release mode builds

This topic is 3462 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

this is with vc2005 my debug builds tend to take ~20secs to compile, yet my release builds are in the minutes (at least 10x as long), true theres a lot more optimization release builds, well duh! but i believe there are some specific parts of STL that are causing the release compile slowdown, anyone have any ideas what they could be? cheers zed btw this is all with precompiled headers

Release mode compiles are almost always set to rebuild from scratch, without checking for modified files. Debug builds only compile things that have changed. If you go into the project properties, under C++ there is a category called Code generation. In it, you will find a subcategory called "Minimal Builds". See if its enabled in the release mode build.

You can also get 90% (thumb suck) of your performance by disabling "whole program optimization". This is a major cause of slow downs since optimization is done at link time, and linking and hence full program optimization occurs every time any module is altered.

cheers guys, i was already doing Minimal Builds but not disabling "whole program optimization" its made a huge difference, compiles are now at least 5x quicker

This topic is 3462 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.