Sign in to follow this  

LOD On the Fly?

This topic is 3463 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Lately I've been looking at LOD meshes and how popping can be seen when one higher detail mesh pops to the lower detail after a certain distance or from low to high. I was wondering if there have been any algorithms made to generate new lod meshes on the fly based on distance and number of other meshes on the screen as well? The idea is to not only have lower details with more meshes on the screen but to have the meshes progress through levels of detail "seamlessly" (you would still be able to see the results of the change but it wouldnt be as noticeable as going from a 50k tris mesh to a 30k) Thoughts?

Interesting guys thanks :)

I was thinking about having the 3d artist mark "high-res" "med-res" and "low-res" seams to control edge collapsing during progression from one resolution to the next.

Seems like a little bit more work for the artist though and I think some simple algorithms might be better.

This topic is 3463 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.